Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

ice auger motor coupler removal

Gregg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

What brand and model number are we talking about?

This unit has had the model and serial number removed.  But it's more a generic question.  It happens to be a GE side by side about 3years old.  The GSS22.........

series.  Looking at Whirlpool and Maytag they also seem to use the same threaded on type of coupler.  The biggest difference would be prong sizes and mounting holes. Thanks  Gregg.

• Team Samurai

I don't have any information on this-- never had to remove it because the new motors I've replaced came with the coupler already installed.  Is that not the case here?  Do you have a part number for the motor you're working on?

because the fridge has no model or serial number I can't order the whole assembly.  I have a couple of units sitting on the shelf.  The brackets that hold the motor in the fridge are not the same however but the motor itself is.  By removing the coupler(prongs) I could put the new motor in the old bracket.  The coupler is threaded on and can be removed if you hold the shaft.  Not much room to get anything on the shaft between the coupler and bracket.  I did get the new one apart by using vise grips on the shaft and turning the coupler.  The old one however is cranked on by a few years of dispensing ice.  Maybe heating up the coupler would work to loosen it up?  Or maybe they could buy a fridge with a model and serial number.

• Team Samurai

If you see a seam between the coupler and the shaft, it might be a press fit-- very difficult to remove, even harder to re-install.

If it is like the LG style the fork/coupler does not come off, have to buy the whole housing with the auger and fork already installed as one unit, complete with the housing it is installed in.....

I stick my 10" adjustable wrench in the fork sideways and turn it sharply to the right.  You'll have to let the Force guide you.  Be the wrench.  focus,  see the "J-nut" turning freely to the right in your minds eye.  Remember to breath.  When you are at one with the Force  the proper amount of Force will be exerted by your arms onto the wrench turning the fork in the proper direction for removal.  The J-nut will almost seem to unscrew itself freeing the fork and allowing the auger motor to be removed from it's housing.  Learn to use the Force.  It can be a valuable tool.

Archived