Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool GGW9200LW0 gas dryer not shutting down

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 leopard-70

leopard-70

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

I just purchased a Whirlpool GGW9200LW0 Duet Natural Gas Dryer from a private party on 12/30/2011. The man we purchased it from said it was taking a long time to dry so they had a Tech come out and fix it. The gave me the work order and the Tech put in new dryer coils and it tested okay then. In the meantime he bought his wife a new Washer/Dryer set.
We purchased the old Dryer and brought it home. I took off the back panel and cleaned out all the lint in the inside of the machine…wow was there ever a lot in there. I was very careful not to unhook or disturb any wires. I also used pressurized air to blow out the motor and such. It looks like new after cleaning it up.
I then removed all the 4 inch aluminum vent tubing on our wall and washed it up with soapy water and dried it off. It looks like new inside and out now.
I then removed the lint screen and cleaned it up like new. I also removed the lint trap assembly and vacuumed it out and it too looks like brand new. I then reinstalled the lint trap assembly and screen.
I hooked up the gas and plugged it in…put in a load of wet washed clothes. I set the dial to “Normal” on the Automatic Mode and started the load. The estimated timer said 36 minutes. I check on it about 30 minutes later and the timer then said 17 minutes left. I checked on it 15 minutes later and the timer said 13 minutes left. I checked on it another 15 minutes later and it said 7 minutes left. I went upstairs thinking it would shut off soon but to my surprise…another 30 minutes later the timer still said 7 minutes left. I opened the door and checked the clothes and there were very dry.
We tried this with several more loads and the same thing happened. One load we let go for 2 hours and the lowest the time got to was 4 minutes. The dryer would never shut off on its own in the Automatic Mode.
We tried the Manual mode and set it for 30 minutes and it ran for 30 minutes and shut off. The clothes were almost dry and we finished them up in the Manual Mode in about 10 minutes or so.
All that to say this…Why is out dryer not working in the Automatic Mode? Oh, after a couple of long drying time loads, I removed the 2 metal wetness sensing bars from the lint trap assembly and buffed them off with steel wool so they could sense the moister in the air in the drum easily. Reinstalled them and re-hooked up the wires to them.

On 1/4/2012 I entered the Diagnostics Mode of the Dryer by depressing More Dry, Less Dry, More Dry, Less Dry all in less than 5 seconds. Immediately all the LED lights came on and “88” showed up in the screen AND an audible continuous beep could be heard. I don’t think it should be beeping immediately. When I turn the control knob or depress buttons…that LED light goes out.
What is wrong with my Dryer? Is there a short in the moisture sensors? HELP!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

Check out this old post: http://applianceguru...orum2/5630.html

It'll link you to the service manual and then you can test that moisture sensor etc.

88 is what it displays when it goes into diagnostic. press more time and less time to make em go away. then test the moisture sensor.
report back

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

.. Is there a short in the moisture sensors? HELP!

could be...
the wiring going to the Controller may be shorted together, (thinks there's always "wet" moisture)
OR one of those wires may be shorted to chassis (ground)
OR the Controller may be bad
Sensor Bars and wiring can be tested with a meter.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Uploaded service manual to the Downloads section here ==> Whirlpool Duet Gas and Electric Dryer Service Manual

#5 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

Also clean those moisture strips also make sure the machine is level I have had them with the machine wasn't an cloth weren't hitting the sensor

#6 phydeauxe64

phydeauxe64

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:"Double D" Turbo Coffee

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

If clothes aren't touching the sensors dryer shuts off and clothes are still damp or wet. I'm thinking possible thermistor problem? Or possible air flow problem that's making flame heat up thermostat causing short cycle on gas making it take longer to dry. Try checking temps coming out of exhaust should be around 155 f on gas I think. Is your vent located on outside wall or go up through the roof? When is the last time it was cleaned?

Edited by phydeauxe64, 08 January 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#7 leopard-70

leopard-70

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

I'm so disgusted...I'll try to calm down.

Dryer is plugged in and door is closed tightly...I press More Dry Less Dry to get into Diagnostics Mode...Immediately the continuous audible beep sounds. 88 is displayed and all the LED's are on. Each of the buttons turn them on/off as they should. Keep in mind a continuous audible beep is blaring in my ears. I push the More Dry and Less Dry buttons and the 88 disappears and then comes back on when I press them again. Keep in mind the continuous audible beep is STILL blaring in my ears. (When I open the Door, the 88 changes to 03.)

Well the metal sensor bars are definitely clean as a whistle. I unhooked the tested the continuity between the Yellow/Red wire and the Black wire at the Harness Connection (Where the Yellow/Red and Black wires coming off the two metal sensor bars connect to Yellow/Red & Green/Yellow & Black/Yellow wires that go up to the Machine Control Electronics...Open Circuit...as it should be. I then tested the Yellow/Red to the Green/Yellow and then to the Black/Yellow...Open Circuits...as they should be.

I then went up to the Machine Control Circuit Board and unhooked P2 plug in. I again tested the continuity between the Yellow/Red and Black/Yellow wires...Open Circuit...as it should be. I then tested the two pins coming out of the Board that these two wired attach to...1.85 Ohms...One sercive manual says this should not be less than 1 Ohm...So this is okay too.

Manual then says to test the Thermistor...I don't get the E1 or E2 errors...then service manual says to measure the heat at all temperature settings. Well, i don't have a Thermometer, but I can tell you I ran the dryer empty on Manual and High heat and the gas would ignite and burn with a nice blue flame for 4 minutes on and 1 minute off. I then tried the Low heat setting and the gas would burn for about 1.5 minutes on and 1.5 minutes off and so on.

I don't know what to do now. Do I just start replacing the Thermal Fuse, Thermistor and Moisture Sensing Bars or what???? Are their more tests I can run?

#8 leopard-70

leopard-70

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

phydeauxe64, the 4" aluminum exhaust tubing is only about 4.5 feet long in total length with two 90 degree bends (one behind the dryer and one up about 3.5 feet where it goes out the block wall. The tubes are spotless clean...i just cleaned them a few days ago.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

... I then tested the two pins coming out of the Board that these two wired attach to...1.85 Ohms
...One sercive manual says this should not be less than 1 Ohm...

should be no less than 1M Ω (1,000,000 Ω)

#10 leopard-70

leopard-70

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

RegUS_PatOff...Your correct. It measured 1.85 M ohms. Sorry about that.

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

still could be a bad Controller...
I'm not sure if it'll run the Diagnostics with P2 Connector removed, but you could try.

#12 leopard-70

leopard-70

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

RegUS_PatOff... I will try to run the Diagnostics with P2 disconnected. I'll respond in a little bit.

By the way, I just unhooked the wires to the Thermal Fuse and there IS continuity...so the fuse should be okay.

#13 leopard-70

leopard-70

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:35 AM

I entered the Diagnostics Mode with P2 unplugged. The 88 changed to E1 which correlates to Thermister open...this is accurate because the P2 is disconnected. I really don't think the Thermister is bad because it will allow the gas to stay on for longer periods of time on High than on the low heat setting...see my post at 12:07 am today.

Why would the control panel be bad and still allow us to dry clothes on the Manual Mode and the Automatic Mode. (The Automatic Mode just does not shut down when the clothes are dry.)

#14 leopard-70

leopard-70

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

I looked up the parts for the ggW9200LW0 and the GEW9200LWO and they both take the same Control Board...is that possible?

#15 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

... Why would the control panel be bad and still allow us to dry clothes on the Manual Mode and the Automatic Mode.

the Moisture Sensor circuit is only used during Automatic Cycles.
Did the "beeping" still occure ?

... ggW9200LW0 and the GEW9200LWO and they both take the same Control Board...is that possible?

yes

#16 leopard-70

leopard-70

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yes, the continuous beep still sounded immediately upon entering the Diagnostics Mode with the P2 Connector unhooked.

Is there a way to check all the pins coming out of the Control Board in the P2 location. Should they all have a certain amount of resistance?

#17 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

... Is there a way to check all the pins coming out of the Control Board in the P2 location.
... Should they all have a certain amount of resistance?

it wouldn';t matter much ..
the electronic circuit portion that senses the Moisture may be bad "farther up" than just at the Pins

Part number: 3978918

Part number: 3978918

If it doesn't frix your problem, return it for a refund (less shipping)

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1028315

Main-Control-Board-8557308-01281055.jpg

#18 phydeauxe64

phydeauxe64

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

What is the resistance of the thermistor? At ambient temperature "room Temp" it should read 11.9ohms at 70degrees F.

Edited by phydeauxe64, 08 January 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#19 phydeauxe64

phydeauxe64

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

Try checking ohms at room temp. at 70 degrees resistance should be 11.9K ohms when dryer reaches 150degrees thermistor should read 2.1Kohms.on High Heat gas should shut off at 155 degrees +or- !0 degrees F. On Low Heat gas should shut off at 105 degrees F+or- 5 degrees.F

TEMPERATURE HEAT TURNS HEAT TURNS
SETTING OFF ON
68° C ±6°
(155° F ±10°)
MEDIUM 66° C ±6° 6 - 8° C
HIGH (150° F ±10°) (10 - 15° F)
60° C ±6° below the heat
(140° F ±10°) turn off
52° C ±6° temperature
(125° F ±10°)
EXTRA 41° C ±3°
LOW (105° F ±5°)

9. If the exhaust temperature is not within the
specified limits, check the resistance of the
thermistor, as shown in the following chart.
If the resistance is okay, replace the machine
control electronics board.
TEMP RESISTANCE TEMP RESISTANCE
°C (°F) (K Ω ) °C (°F) (K Ω )
10° (50°) 19.9 43° (110°) 4.7
16° (60°) 15.3 49° (120°) 3.7
21° (70°) 11.9 54° (130°) 3.1
27° (80°) 9.2 60° (140°) 2.5
32° (90°) 7.4 66° (150°) 2.1
38° (100°) 5.7 71° (160°) 1.7

Edited by phydeauxe64, 08 January 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#20 phydeauxe64

phydeauxe64

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Check out the link that RussTech posted earlier it'll help ya alot it sure helped me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics