Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Defective Customer

Is this really my life?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:59 AM

So, I walk in on a dryer call yesterday. The complaint is that the machine takes a long time to dry and the display keeps adding time to the cycle. The first thing I do is turn it on in a timed dry cycle and high heat and head outside to see what the airflow is like. I find the vent completely plugged at the exterior vent flap. I get my brush and clear the vent out and restore proper air flow. Please note that this is a task I did not have to do on a warrenty call, I was being helpful.

I return to the basement with a balled up wad of lint the size of a basketball, and tell her the vent was plugged while showing her the evidence. She instantly goes into full blown Mega-Hag Bitch mode and says "That can NOT be the problem it HAS to be an electronic problem" and "This is why I hate calling people like you out for service".

So, I put the machine into diagnostic mode and there are no stored error codes and the unit is running and heating perfectly. Mrs. Hag will not accept this fact, and continues her "it has to be the computer" rant.

It's a Maytag, so I call their control board authorization #800 and speak to their tech. I do this only to get the situation reported to them, I know we are not replacing any parts. I fill him in on my findings, and he agrees that the blocked vent was the problem. He also asks if it is on it's own recepticle with it's own breaker as per the Use and Care manual. It was not, and he stated that it must be installed according to the manufacturers instructions before they would authorize any repairs. I inform Mrs. Hag that her electrical supply was not proper per the factory specifications.

Now she really steaming, so I decide to push her buttons even more. I tell her the aluminum gas line is not up to code and the installers should have refused to hook it up. On further inspection, the gas line was connected to a flair nut fitting with a compression fitting cap. Completely unsafe and potentially a deadly gas leak condition. I tell her the install is unsafe, the gas line should be shut off, and the unit should not be used untill these issues are resolved. I exit the residence. to the sounds of " I'll never buy another Maytag again....."

So, I fixed her problem at no charge to her, tested the machines diagnostics to show her it's working properly, called the manufacturer to heed her demands, and found a problem that could have killed her and her family. But in her mind I'm the asshole who won't fix her dryer.

Nice.

Edited by nickfixit, 07 January 2012 - 07:02 AM.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

WTF is wrong with people?

Posted Image

Here's your fantasy exit scene:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Everything you've done Nick---was professional.

There are a few customers that---made up their mind that the appliance (under warranty) is flawed & should be exchanged---regardless of what is found.

"I paid $2500 for that laundry set!"

"I shouldn't have to think about what type or what amount of detergent to use---or to perform maintenance (tub clean cycle)."
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

So, I fixed her problem at no charge to her, tested the machines diagnostics to show her it's working properly, called the manufacturer to heed her demands, and found a problem that could have killed her and her family. But in her mind I'm the asshole who won't fix her dryer.

Nice.

Got to love those "Customer Instruction" calls not covered by the warranty, and the fact most will end up with a recall no matter what you do...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

She will not be any problem to me again. I've got her documented with all those installation issues that the factory tech stated she must fix before we do any repairs, The one that will hurt the most is having independent electrical service lines for the dryer and washer installed. In her city she will need a permit, a real electrician, and an inspection by the code enforcement people. She might have to do the same with the gas supply. I hope the inspector looks around and finds other code problems on her property.

I got her where it hurts the most...the checkbook!
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

How I love a happy ending.. :thumbsup:

#7 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

grey shrek, you are still alive!!!!............long time , no hear......

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Like a sighting of Big Foot, we catch a glimpse of the Grey One and then he melts back into the North Woods.

Posted Image

#9 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Can not go out today - it SNOWED!!!. I am still alive and doing O.K. , but retired from appliance repair. Now doing a NO-BRAINER , wallworld greater to put gas in R.V. and rum in pantry.Still come in and peek every once in a while, but offer no help on these new darn electronic controlled pieces of doo-doo. Waiting for summer when the young ladies clothing changes a bit. Hope I keep my eyesight. And let me be the last to say HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone in the best site on the comp. You people are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

.. retired from appliance repair. Now doing a NO-BRAINER ,
... wallworld greater

:whistling:

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Love it... :thumbsup:

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos

Edited by Scottthewolf, 20 January 2012 - 02:36 AM.

Scott Wolf

#13 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

:thanks: Some day will have to go thru them all. Sometimes hard being a greeter and not laughing out loud. Not only are some people ugly , but their mother dresses them funny. Spending a week in Arizona in March , so will have to check out local wallyworld - with a camera....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Is this really my life?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics