Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Gas DryerLGR7646EZ2 intermittent heat, long dry times

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt_In_Michigan

Matt_In_Michigan

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

My gas dryer was heating intermittently. It would dry a load of clothes, but it took forever. I started out armed with my knowledge, and my trusty multimeter. First thing to check, venting. Nothing clogged, no holes, no kinks. Opened up the cabinet, tested the valve, coils, and radiant sensor. They all passed. Ignitor, no continuity. Yes, I did remove them from their circuits before testing them.

Thought about it for a moment, and it made sense. Ignitor element gets hot, small crack begins to separate, operating t-stat calls for heat, small crack keeps ignitor from passing current until it cools enough to contract and close the open circuit. Cools, operating t-stat call for heat, current passes, heats up, and keeps cycling like this.

Replaced the ignitor, worked like new!

Warmed up a blanket for the princess last night, and it came out toasty warm. This morning, nothing! The ignitor won't even glow. I'm sure the thermal fuse blew after the dryer started to overheat, which leads me to believe it was the operating thermostat and a bad ignitor that was my problem. However, the blown thermal fuse leads me to believe it might be the high-limit t-stat also.

I haven't torn it apart to check for sure, but once I test the 3 suspect components- operating t-stat, high-limit t-stat, and thermal fuse I'll know for sure. I'll always remember to test ALL components and not just the first bad one I come to!

My 2 biggest questions are;
  • Meter's don't lie. Was my ignitor logic correct, and was it just hiding the upcoming failure of whichever t-stat is bad?
  • Is it possible this is another mis-direction?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
"You can buy it cheaper somewhere else. Or you could pay a fair value for it, and not have to wonder why your neighbor's factory job doesn't exist anymore. Cheaper is not better."

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

... tested the valve, coils,
... Ignitor, no continuity.

1) Gas Valve Coils may pass the resistance tests, but they get weak when they get "old"
2) Ignitor may have 400 OHMs to 1000 OHMs or more of resistance

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,921 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

First thing to check, venting. Nothing clogged, no holes, no kinks.
I'm sure the thermal fuse blew after the dryer started to overheat, which leads me to believe it was the operating thermostat and a bad ignitor that was my problem. However, the blown thermal fuse leads me to believe it might be the high-limit t-stat also.

Run that "overheating" by me again-- how did you determine the dryer was overheating? Monitoring exhaust temperatures is the only way to prove this. Were you doing that? Or are you just assuming it was overheating because the thermal fuse blew?

About the vent, here's your new mantra:

A dryer vent can be free of lint and still be bad.

Grok ye ==> http://fixitnow.com/...-venting-guide/

#4 Matt_In_Michigan

Matt_In_Michigan

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Replaced the blown thermal fuse and operating thermostat. She seems to be running right, again-So far. :lol: Only time and overloading will tell.

Fermented Master,

The only vent problems I have are when the mother-in-law decides to clean behind the dryer, and shimmies it out until the semi-rigid aluminum breaks or kinks. She hasn't done that since I replaced the ignitor, and cleaned out the cabinet last weekend. Where do you think I learned my knowledge of dryer venting from? Yup, that very same link you posted, many moons ago.

http://fixitnow.com/...-venting-guide/

Perhaps the overheating conclusion was a bit of a leap, but something caused the thermal fuse to blow.

Reg.,

I searched here and everywhere and found the specs. for my ignitor's resistance. Sorry, should have mentioned previously. It had no continuity and did not register under any of the other ranges of resistance, either.

I don't know that it's not the coils. :whistling:

I don't believe they have every been replaced, and according to my serial number- MH2303686- it was built in 1998. So, I guess it could be them.

http://www.electrica...lDateCodes.html

Thanks again,

Matt
"You can buy it cheaper somewhere else. Or you could pay a fair value for it, and not have to wonder why your neighbor's factory job doesn't exist anymore. Cheaper is not better."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics