Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MSD2456DEW icemaker feed tube freezing over

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dr_Linguini

Dr_Linguini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

I have a problem with the icemaker on my MSD2456DEW fridge. The icemaker feed tube keeps freezing over. This happened once a couple of years ago, around the time I was running into another issue (which resulted in a replacement of the ADC board, the common flaw on this fridge). About 6 months ago I stopped getting ice, checked the fill tube and noticed it was frozen again. At the time I was too busy to deal with it so I shut off the icemaker and then promptly forgot about it until about 2 days ago when I noticed water under the fridge. Examination revealed that apparently water was still getting into the (frozen) feed tube (at some astronomically slow rate), and over the 6 months had built up a nice ledge of ice behind the icemaker. Apparently it had reached the point where there was nowhere for the water to go, so water started leaking out the back of the fridge where the line for the icemaker enters the fridge. Water was dripping down the line and onto the floor...hence the puddle.

So, yesterday I shut off the freezer and cleaned out the ice from everywhere. As before, I made sure all the lines were clear, etc. Turned everything back on, and voila...after a short time the icemaker dropped its first tray of ice, then the second tray, etc. All seemed well. Went to bed assuming that by morning the ice bucket would be full. Instead, I checked it this morning and the water in the feed tube had frozen solid again. No ice other than the first few trays after I had cleaned out everything.

So my question is, why is the feed tube suddenly freezing solid all the time? When it is not frozen the icemaker works fine--no leaks, feed tube feels properly seated (I always feel the back of the icemaker where the tube comes in to make sure it feels seated in the cup). Or is this some 'feature' of my icemaker--that it makes small cylindrical ice cubes in the feed tube in addition to the half-moons from the icemaker? Is there some valve for the feed tube that is failing, allowing water to sit in the feed tube and freeze?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I always change the water valve in those situations. It's either partially clogged or not sealing properly; either one will produce a slow flow of water; as it passes through the freezer liner, it gets frozen.

#3 Dr_Linguini

Dr_Linguini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Just to confirm: you're talking about replacing this, right?

Part number: AP4071513

Part number: AP4071513

Having never done that particular replacement before, do you have any pearls of wisdom to offer?

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 08 January 2012 - 07:27 PM.
Edited part link.

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Do not know about that part number, but I would use P/N 61005626...... :thumbsup:

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

... same thing ...
AP4071513 is APP's part number :teehee:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Dr_Linguini

Dr_Linguini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Ok, new valve ordered...anyone want to give me any instruction on the best way to swap it? Looks straightforward but I'm always a little leery when it comes to water lines. I'm an electrical guy by training so I generally avoid water. :-)

#7 Anytime Nick

Anytime Nick

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

- Make sure you turn the water off first.
- If your old valve uses the screw on connectors for the plastic lines, make sure you cut them nice and straight before you push them into the new connectors.
- When you reinstall your main water line, be careful to not cross thread it, and do not over tighten it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics