Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Wolf Range/oven model# DF486G suddenly has a 'flaky' oven... thermostat broke?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ajschmidt

ajschmidt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

In my 48" Wolf dual fuel range/oven (DF486G) I have two ovens; a smaller one on the left side and a larger one on the
right side. Both have performed nearly perfectly for 6 years. In the last week, the right side oven seems to have a
thermostat issue. It basically stops heating once it reaches ~350, no matter what temperature setting I have adjusted the
knob to. To diagnose the problem, I took some temperature readings using a standard oven thermometer (all metal) over a
40 min period for each oven separately. Over the 40 min period, I adjusted the temperature setting from 400 then 450 and
finally 500. I first tested the smaller left side oven which is and has always been working properly... these measurements
can be used to compare to the faulty oven's measurements.

The results are not displaying properly in the forum, so below is a link you can click that shows a snapshot of my screen
where I have collected the data (or you can click on the attachment at the bottom of the post):

http://img190.images.../6898/ovenh.jpg

To my untrained and very unprofessional eye, the issue is either A) a bad thermostat (seems more likely) or a faulty heating
element that won't heat the oven up past 350 anymore (seems less likely). Anyone have any comments on this? How can I
better identify the problem? What part or parts do I need to replace to fix this? Is there just a simple way to recalibrate the
oven? Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files

• Attached File  oven.jpg   63.82KB   7 downloads

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:51 AM

it may be a bad Oven Sensor .. (Thermistor)
Left & Right Oven Thermistors are the same part # 800306

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

Yep, check the sensor first. The spec is 1091 @ 75°F. If it checks good, then replace the oven control board.

#4 ajschmidt

ajschmidt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

First off, thanks for the quick replies.

it may be a bad Oven Sensor .. (Thermistor)
Left & Right Oven Thermistors are the same part # 800306

Yep, check the sensor first. The spec is 1091 @ 75°F. If it checks good, then replace the oven control board.

RegUS_PatOff: Of the parts listed in the diagram you posted, which # in the diagram refers to the thermistor? #24?

Samurai Appliance Repair Man: Forgive the ignorance of the grasshopper... but can you explain how I 'check' the sensor? I'm not even sure what the '1091' refers to. I have my tools ready to go.. and my multimeter in my holster ready to be quickdrawn to do some damage. Thanks again.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

yes # 24 (I forgot to add to notes)
1091 OHMs

#6 ajschmidt

ajschmidt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. Forgive the ignorance here... But do I just remove the thermistor and measure its resistivity? Thats it? Thats how we check for proper functioning of a thermistor? Cool!

Ok, now the big million dollar question: how in the heck do I get at the thermistor?

#7 ajschmidt

ajschmidt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

Keep in mind I've never done any oven repair work... but I am handy and very inclined to fix things (or at least attempt to). I don't have a service manual... is it fairly logical on how to take these things apart and put them back together or are there some little 'tricks' involved?

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

the Thermistor connects to the Controller Board ..
I don't know where.. not shown in service manual
Wolf parts and service info is hard to get.

#9 ajschmidt

ajschmidt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

the Thermistor connects to the Controller Board ..
I don't know where.. not shown in service manual
Wolf parts and service info is hard to get.

Have you ever worked on Wolfs before? If so, is it fairly easy to get at the controller board? Just trying to decide if it is worth it for me to go after this on my own....

#10 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

to get at the thermistor, I would start by looking in the back top of the oven, and locate the thermistor its self. I would then remove the screws, and pull gently on the thermistor, untill you can see the quick connect plug, or ceramic wire nuts. the disconnect the thermistor, and do the ohm check. If you are unable to fing a quick connect plug, then you will need to, puul the control panel, and look for the connector for the small oven, I'm not sure but usually on other brands, it will be 2 white wires, in a plug by themselves. I would really like to see a wiring diagram so that I could be for sure where and which board the thermistor connects to.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#11 ajschmidt

ajschmidt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

I made a call to a parts distributor and was pleased that the controller board wasn't more than $200...

part costs:
part # 815572 (part# 800306 was changed to this part #), thermistor, $24.08
part# 806825, main controller board, $171.60

Problem is, I need to be sure of the issue before buying the parts. I'll check the ohms on the thermistor tonight, and will report back.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

#12 ajschmidt

ajschmidt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Bum deal. Too hard to remove the thermistor... so I can't check the resistance of it. Bummer. I can't move it out from the wall...

Guess I'll have to service call this one.

#13 woftam

woftam

Yamabushi

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

Did you already call for service? When you changed from set temp too higher temp did you turn oven off first? A common problem with Wolf temps is racks not installed properly causing door not to close all the way even though it appears to be.

Edited by woftam, 12 January 2012 - 09:11 PM.

There is a huge difference between 10 years experience and one years experience ten times over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics