Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune MAH3000AWW fill, no spin (door does lock)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Burright

Burright

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hello All,

OK, I have an Maytag Neptune, MAH3000AWW. A few years ago I replaced the machine control board and wax motor for the door lock. I also replace the Tach, Torque, and 24 VDC wires from Connector P4 on the machine control board to Connector JP4 on the motor control board. One of the wires had an intermittent open, so I just replaced all three. The machine faithfully worked after that for many years, then....

The machine will start to fill, then turn off. If I turn the dial to a spin cycle, it will drain, lock the door, then turn off with no spin. I opened her up and did the troubleshoot for Washer Fills but Will not Tumble, which lead me to the Drive System Diagnostics. This asked me to set the timer knob to delay, push the start button and confirm the delay light came on (did), then check the 120 VAC on the motor control board (all good), then unplug the machine, unplug JP4, plug back in and push start. The machine was supposed to tumble (didn't).

I checked the fuse on the motor control board and it was blown. So I replaced it. Then I went to do the same Drive System Diagnostics again. When I push the start button with JP4 unplugged there is a noise (like motor start up, but louder) and the fuse blows.

The General operation diagnostics don't really help from here....So where do I go next? Is this a replace motor and motor control board kind of issue??

Thank you in advance for your help.

Richard

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

... there is a noise (like motor start up, but louder) and the fuse blows.
... Is this a replace motor and motor control board kind of issue??

1) try it again with the Belt removed
2) do you already have the newer Motor / Controller ?

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=949491

Motor-and-Control-Module-12002039-008175

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Burright

Burright

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Tried again with the belt removed...same result. Makes a noise that doesn't sound quite right for motor start up and the fuse blows.

I have the original motor and motor control board. The washer was purchased in 1998.

The motor shaft spins freely by hand, and the wash tub spins freely by hand as well.

#4 Burright

Burright

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Dumb question: I used a standard AGC - 10 250V(from auto store) fuse to replace the 10A fuse that was originally on the board. Wrong kind of fuse? Forgive me as I don't know a great deal about fuses and grabbed what I could find that looked right.

Another question: Can I directly power the motor to see if that is working right? I want to rule out the wiring harness as a cause.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

... Can I directly power the motor to see if that is working right?

no, it's actually a 3 phase Motor...
Fuse semms OK,
You could try a higher rated Fuse,
but I don't think that will help.
Posted Image

#6 Burright

Burright

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

OK, so I checked the wiring harness connector on the motor, 2.5, 2.4, and 2.4. So that checks out.

I grabbed a 20 A fuse and had my wife watch the motor shaft while I turned the washer on (in delay mode with JP4 unplugged), it made a buzzing sound and she said the shaft twisted just slightly, then stopped. At that point the fuse blew.

So this leaves me buying new motor and motor control board, right?

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

looks like it...
The new "kit" is re-desigend..
should work better / longer

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

Run the Basic Motor Function Test for Early Model Maytag Neptune Washers. If the drum doesn't rotate at 50 RPM, then you need to the motor and controller kit that GMF Reg linked you to.

Replacing the fuse on the board is always futile because it blew as a result of something else bad either on the board or on the motor.

#9 Burright

Burright

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

Thank you guys! It looks like I am looking at new motor and control kit. I will get one ordered and installed. It's either that or a new washer...

#10 Burright

Burright

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Quick update: Motor & control board update kit arrived this afternoon. Took about 20 minutes to install and the washer is busy washing it's first load post repair!

A quick thank you to Repair Clinic.com. The part order was fast, efficient with a knowledgable salesman on the other end of the phone (description of the part asked for a phone call to confirm the part was correct for my machine...that is GREATLY appreciated). Shipping was as expected and the part was less expensive delivered to my door than anyone could do locally (checked mostly to see if I could get the part the same day without being charged too much so we could get to work on the laundry pile sooner...).

This is the second repair you helped me through on this washer. Calling someone in to fix the washer would have been so prohibitively expensive a new washer would have been purchased. You have now saved me from spending that money twice! You guys rock!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics