Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Front Load washer wont spin

MAH4000AWW spin turn front load washer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lor

Lor

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

I have a front load Maytag Neptune washer # MAH4000AWW. It doesn't have a glass see though front and it dose not have anywhere that displays error codes. But then you probably already knew that right? The drum or basket wont spin. I can make it move freely with my hand so I don't think it is jammed at all. Also when I first turned it on the other day to do a load it made a kind of loud sound like a clunk or bang (could have been a belt snapping maybe??) Now all I hear is a low humming sound when it should be moving or spinning. Water will come in for a few moments, the start light comes on and the lock door light is on as well, and the door locks, then it turns off. It will also pump water out, but it has always seemed to sound like there is still a little water in it somewhere. Just another quick question. Is the water that sounds like it's still inside for balancing? It seems to be pumping water out OK but, again it won’t spin/turn as it fills or in a spin cycle. I have tried different cycles but it acts the same anywhere on the dial. One other thing it didn't seem to be spinning the water out as well for a while now. and on the max extract setting that I usually use when I do a large load of jeans they seemed to be still pretty wet. Help I have 8 loads of clothes on my basement floor.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Remove the rear access panel see if the belt is off

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Your first stop in this journey into appliance repair wonderment is 'round back o' da washer-- remove that back panel and peek in to see if the belt is still on the big pulley or nyet. If'n it ain't, go back 'round front, open the door, reach in with your right hand and grab 'hold of the lip of the inner basket and try to move the basket. If it moves at all independently from the outer drum, you have a broken drum spider.

#4 phydeauxe64

phydeauxe64

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:"Double D" Turbo Coffee

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

In answer to yer question Yes the water sound you hear after washer is empty is the liquid in the counter balance ring located on the basket. Do you hear it tumbling when it's washing? If not you could very well have a broken belt like Samurai said or WasherTech.

Edited by phydeauxe64, 12 January 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#5 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

After checking the belt and the fastener holding the pulley..........Find the tech. sheet in the console, it will help you test for the correct spin speed if it is not running at the full rpm speed it could be sensing an 'out of balance' condition, it will only spin at 1/2 of the full rpm, apx. 400 to 450 rpm.... Also, you will need to check for a broken shock or spring..............

#6 AvanteAppliance

AvanteAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Miller Lite

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:27 AM

Smack it around rrrrreeeeal hard, that should do the trick....J/King, hyup, I second all the motions, pull machine forward and access the rear access panel, if its a slight whirring sound but wit no tub action whatsoever, it sho could be da belt. But.....with dis bein' said, this might be a symptom of an underlying issue. Like a failing bearing (outer tub) or even the drive motor bearing.
  • Lor likes this
"Get crunk with it get loose with it, my clients don't care as long as your @$$ fixes it."

#7 Lor

Lor

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

So far I have tried everything down to # 5 still no spin. The belt is good, there aren’t any burned looking spots on the Control board. I will look into your suggestions #6 AvanteAppliance. Still the piles of clothes get higher. I’m just hoping it’s not the control board $$ ouch!

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

And now for my next trick...

Basic Motor Function Test for Early Model Maytag Neptune Washers

If if fails this test, then you need one o' deese ==> Motor and Control Module

#9 washertech26

washertech26

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Leave door open push in the door switch see it the drum move if it doesn't you will need a motor control board I am betting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics