Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Glass-top stove circuit...existing wire?

Intheswamp

Well, the push is on to get a stove. The wife wants a smooth top setup...we've had a gas for years but mama wants an electric and if mama's happy *I* am happy :).

Looking at the specs on several of these it looks like 40 amp circuits are called for but options are there for either 3 or 4 wire hookups. My house was built back around 1950 and has an existing 3-wire stove circuit.in place, The house had an electric stove in it before we moved in.

About 20 years ago we replaced the old glass and paper fuse box with a breaker box. There were two separate boxes and I can't remember if there were any breakers at all in one of them, I don't think there were, though. The stove circuit was retained and there is a 50 amp double breaker for it. The old 3-wire Leviton plug is rated at 50 amp.

I was thinking I would need to replace the wiring, that it was probably a 30 amp circuit. Once I took the panel off of the breaker box and looked, the wires seem larger than the wires in the 6/3 wiring that I purchased to replace it. Now I'm wondering if the circuit is indeed heavy enough to handle a new stove with it's 40 amp requirement. I've included a couple of images of the plug. Anybody want to take a look a wager a guess as to what gauge the wiring is? Whether it would rate as a 40 amp circuit? The wiring is old, I know, but.....???? It would save me a lot of trouble *and* $$$ if I could use the existing wire and go with a 3-wire hookup. But, I don't wanta burn the house down either!

Thanks!

Ed

post-3021-0-22133300-1326576587_thumb.jp

post-3021-0-91222200-1326576643_thumb.jp

If the original set up was a 50 amp breaker then the wiring should support it. is wasn't until recently

that range manufactures started saying it was ok to use a 40 amp circuit. It was always 50 before.

I would really inspect the wiring from one end to the other if its that old. I personally would replace it.

• Like 1

... maybe replace the wiring, unless the wiring is "old" and not in Conduit :wallbash: and hard to replace...

Some local electrical codes may require a 4-wire installation...

(or is that just for electric Dryers ?

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

And, following up several years later, I did replace the wiring...not an easy chore getting it pulled down through the wall, but "gotter done!'. ;)