LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Glass-top stove circuit...existing wire?

Intheswamp

Well, the push is on to get a stove. The wife wants a smooth top setup...we've had a gas for years but mama wants an electric and if mama's happy *I* am happy :).

Looking at the specs on several of these it looks like 40 amp circuits are called for but options are there for either 3 or 4 wire hookups. My house was built back around 1950 and has an existing 3-wire stove circuit.in place, The house had an electric stove in it before we moved in.

About 20 years ago we replaced the old glass and paper fuse box with a breaker box. There were two separate boxes and I can't remember if there were any breakers at all in one of them, I don't think there were, though. The stove circuit was retained and there is a 50 amp double breaker for it. The old 3-wire Leviton plug is rated at 50 amp.

I was thinking I would need to replace the wiring, that it was probably a 30 amp circuit. Once I took the panel off of the breaker box and looked, the wires seem larger than the wires in the 6/3 wiring that I purchased to replace it. Now I'm wondering if the circuit is indeed heavy enough to handle a new stove with it's 40 amp requirement. I've included a couple of images of the plug. Anybody want to take a look a wager a guess as to what gauge the wiring is? Whether it would rate as a 40 amp circuit? The wiring is old, I know, but.....???? It would save me a lot of trouble *and* $$$ if I could use the existing wire and go with a 3-wire hookup. But, I don't wanta burn the house down either!

Thanks!

Ed

post-3021-0-22133300-1326576587_thumb.jp

post-3021-0-91222200-1326576643_thumb.jp

If the original set up was a 50 amp breaker then the wiring should support it. is wasn't until recently

that range manufactures started saying it was ok to use a 40 amp circuit. It was always 50 before.

I would really inspect the wiring from one end to the other if its that old. I personally would replace it.

• Like 1

... maybe replace the wiring, unless the wiring is "old" and not in Conduit :wallbash: and hard to replace...

Some local electrical codes may require a 4-wire installation...

(or is that just for electric Dryers ?

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

And, following up several years later, I did replace the wiring...not an easy chore getting it pulled down through the wall, but "gotter done!'. ;)