Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MSD2454GRW icemaker stopped working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 davisms1

davisms1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

The icemaker in my Maytag refrigerator (MSD2454GRW) stopped making ice. No water in tray. Arm is down.

Reading on here, somebody said to jump the M and V lines. When I do, I can hear water flowing in. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Also, the filter like has been on for a while. Has that ever stopped an icemaker?

Thanks,
Mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

will it then automatically eject, when that Water is frozen ?
.. and won't automatically Fill again ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Start with the modular icemaker troubleshooting flowchart ==> Troubleshooting the Whirlpool Modular Icemaker

Don't let the title fool ya-- your ice maker is a Whirlpool modular ice maker.

#4 davisms1

davisms1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

I think I messed with it enough that it worked itself out. Looking at the troubleshooting flow chart (thanks- I did see that before, but I was fooled by the title), I wonder if I had a frozen flow pipe that thawed.

In the grand tradition of inept amateur DIY repair, the ice maker works, but now the dispenser is unresponsive. The light works, but none of the other buttons do anythign. Actually, I pressed the lock button, which is now lit up red, and I can't turn that off.

Did I screw up putting the ice bin back in? Any tips on how to know it's in right?

Thanks,
Mike

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

I think I messed with it enough that it worked itself out.

What specific actions did this messing entail?

the ice maker works, but now the dispenser is unresponsive. The light works, but none of the other buttons do anythign. Actually, I pressed the lock button, which is now lit up red, and I can't turn that off.

By unfortunate coincidence, bad timing, or just rotten luck, the control board is now bad ==> Part number: AP4071382

Part number: AP4071382

Here's an exploded view of the dispenser parts, the control board is item 12, partially covered up by the red circle.

Posted Image

#6 davisms1

davisms1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

What specific actions did this messing entail?

Just taking the ice bin and ice maker out of the freezer (during which the freezer was turned off). I also jumped it to run the filler for a while.

By unfortunate coincidence, bad timing, or just rotten luck, the control board is now bad ==> Part number: AP4071382

What makes you think this part has failed? Just curious...since I'll need to justify to the landlord why he should cough up the money to replace this.

Thanks again for all of your help!

-Mike

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

Here're a couple easy things to try:

1. Press and hold the lock button for at least three seconds and see if the lock light goes out.

2. Press lock button 3 times. If another LED lights, replace LED/Switch PC Board.

3. Press and hold lock and light buttons together for 3 seconds. Indicator should begin blinking. Release keypads and lamp should go out.
No: [a] Replace key pad board. [b] Replace the control board.

#8 davisms1

davisms1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

1. Press and hold the lock button for at least three seconds and see if the lock light goes out.

The lock light remains illuminated.

2. Press lock button 3 times. If another LED lights, replace LED/Switch PC Board.

This has no effect, i.e., another LED does not light.

3. Press and hold lock and light buttons together for 3 seconds. Indicator should begin blinking. Release keypads and lamp should go out.
No: [a] Replace key pad board. [b] Replace the control board.

When I do this, the indicator (replace filter LED?) blinks. When I release the keypads, it stops blinking.

Does this mean I need to replace the control board? (I had trouble figuring out what you mean by [a] and [b])

-Mike

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Here's a nugget from the service manual:

2. When actuator pad is pressed, does fountain light come on?

Yes: If nothing works (ice door sole- noid/auger/cube solenoid/water valve), replace PC control board.

Looks like we've come full circle!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics