Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore elec.dryer wrong part in, is it OK?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mskip

mskip

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Recently our old kenmore elc.dryer quit (no heat, just spinning). Checked heating elem.(bad!), thermal cutoff (bad!) and thermostat (good!). Lots of lint to clean up...
Replaced all of the mentioned parts excerpt heating elem.was WRONG part (found out after install). Everything works ok.
Thermal cutoff part 279816 replaced with same new part.
Thermostat replaced with same part number (came in a kit with a thermal cutoff).
Heating elem. that I put in had part 3403590 (5000w) vs. original had part 3403585 (5400w).
Is it OK/acceptable to put heating elem with lower wattage (5000w vs. 5400w)?
This new heating elem. looks the same and it works ok (for now).
Any thougts?

Thx

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

Dryer model number ?
i can't find any other info on 3403590 (where did you get that part and why) ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 mskip

mskip

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

This part number (3403590) was one of 6 other part numbers that were stampe on old heater elem. On old heater elem there were following numbers:
3403585 - there was a blue dot beside this number
On old part (that was burned out!) there was 5400w stamped.
My part supplier store did not have any other part available excerpt for the one that I got (3403590 with 5000w). Dryer works ok now. What is your opinion is it ok to continue to use with this part (lower wattage)?
My guess is that old part was 5400w and now this one is a bit less (5000w) heating capacity. I did put in new thermostat (one that goes closer to heating elem) and a new thermal cutoff-those were same part numbers as the old parts.
My reasoning why I got this part is that I think all of these numbers are equivavelent/interchangable parts for other brands/model. This is old kenmore dryer probably made by whirlp./maytag and they use same heating elem in other dryers they make.
I needed this dryer fixed ASAP so my only option was this local parts supplier (high prices $$$ on any part) and had to shell out 60$ (vs.30$ online some stores).

#4 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

The model number would really help with all this, I come up with as a sub for your original part #3403585 as part #279838 or part #3403588 which is a little bit more expensive, 60 vs 90.
I also can not come up with anything about part #3403590. Doesn't come up in my parts database. The only reference I can find is on Searspartsdirect.com and it says:

Element, heater

PART NUMBER: 3403590

This part is no longer available through the original manufacturer. No authorized substitutions have been identified.

Kinda gives me a spooky feeling now.

#5 mskip

mskip

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

This is Canadian kenmore dryer. My part supplier is Canadian - Reliable Parts in Coquitlam , BC (that explains HIGH proces for parts!).

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

The element you installed will work fine, but better check that venting - could have caused the old to fail
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 mskip

mskip

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thank you all for clarification on this! So far, so good...
Any thoughts on product called linteater (dryer vent cleaning kit)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics