Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Montgomery Wards Frostless 18 HMG1879-4 warm refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bugme

bugme

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fat Weasel

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

I checked out some of the forum posts but nothing quite like this. I'm guessing it's a typical refrigerator problem for you all so I appreciate any help on this. My refer is about 25+ years old so I don't expect miracles. However it is the basement beer refrigerator and while the freezer seems to freeze...the temp in the refrigerator has gone to 50º. The first time it did, I unplugged for a day and then plugged back in and it was okay for about 3 weeks. Visible symptoms are drain hose in back is icing up, inside back panel of freezer is getting a layer of ice, and after a couple of weeks the fan/compressor/whatever that sound is that comes out of the freezer and is normally quiet...is now like a hackety-hackety-hackety LOUD sound when you open the door. Oh, and you can't adjust the temp knob inside the freezer on the back panel, as it is stuck like it's frozen. I only feel a slight hint of a whisper of a breeze coming out of the refrigerator column where presumably the cold air comes in from the freezer. I'm not that mechanical but I might have a male friend that I can instruct... if you can direct me to what the problem might be and where I could get the part. If it can't be fixed I guess it means I'll have to stop drinking beer. Ughhh...that doesn't sound right.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

... drain hose in back is icing up, inside back panel of freezer is getting a layer of ice,
... the fan .. is now like a hackety-hackety-hackety LOUD sound when you open the door.

I can't find any info on that unit, but
it sounds like the Freezer Evaporator is not being Defrosted ... and the Evaporator Fan Blades are hitting the "frost'
Can you post pictures of the Freezer Evaporator Coils ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 bugme

bugme

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Again...sorry I'm no repairman...but if you mean the coils behind the freezer panel...I haven't taken that off. Can you be specific as to where those are?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

...but if you mean the coils behind the freezer panel

yes

... Can you be specific as to where those are?

I can't find any info on that unit

#5 bugme

bugme

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

At this point, It's been unplugged for a day and a half and it's hopefully defrosted. But sadly since it's defrosted I won't be able to get a look at the coils to see if your thoughts are correct. Once it's plugged back in i can probably take off the panel and take a look. Was hoping to do that when it was down but I guess some diagnosis require the "what's going on at the time" so you can see the excess freezing, etc. I'll plug back in but may take some time to get to that point again. Meanwhile, i'll research the freezer evaporator.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:19 AM

since it's now completely defrosted,
the Fridge may cool fine for a few days or maybe a full week

#7 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

The evaporator coils in this unit are under the freezer floor panel. The glass defrost heater may be bad. A common failure sooner or later on these.
Also clogged drain hole in the center of the freezer.
You have to remove the door,hinges,mullion panel to get the freeser floor panel out.
Be sure to use a sponge to remove all water from the fan motor comparment.

The defrost thermostat is on the left rear corner or front center behind the toe kick plate.
Another potentially failed part.

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

These old Montgomery Wards HMG models are usually made by Admiral and to access the evaporator coils is not the easiest of jobs.

You have to remove the doors and then remove the center divider strip between the freezer and refrigerator, (the mullion strip which has a heater on it, should have plugs to unplug it).

Once that divider strip is removed you have to pry the plastic floor out at each side and slide the complete freezer floor out.

There will then be a syrofoam sheet with a thin aluminum shield on the bottom of it. If you haven't let it thaw out real good you can very easily break this cover, so be careful when removing it.

The defrost heater should be a glass tube heater running down the center of the evaporator coils covered by a metal shield. When the defrost goes out in these it will break the glass tube lots of times because of all the ice buildup around the glass tube.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Part links:

Defrost heater ==> http://www.repaircli...61001846/663823

Defrost thermostat ==> http://www.repaircli...at/5208529/1072

Defrost timer ==> http://www.repaircli...5303917633/3286

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

The evaporator coils in this unit are under the freezer floor panel. The glass defrost heater may be bad. A common failure sooner or later on these.
Also clogged drain hole in the center of the freezer.
You have to remove the door,hinges,mullion panel to get the freeser floor panel out.
Be sure to use a sponge to remove all water from the fan motor comparment.

The defrost thermostat is on the left rear corner or front center behind the toe kick plate.
Another potentially failed part.

I think you mean the defrost timer is behind the toe kick plate, NOT the defrost thermostat.
Scott Wolf

#11 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

You are correct Senpai. timer timer timer timer timer. I will write this 100 times timer timer timer...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

... timer timer timer. I will write this 100 times ...

Posted Image

Bart Simpson Chalkboard sign generator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics