Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

OKNYC

Caloric Prestige Series Range RST399UL - knobs won't push in or turn

11 posts in this topic

My Caloric Prestige Series stove oven combination has two control knobs that don't push in and don;t turn - and thus they don't pass gas and won't light. The other knobs are working - electronic ignition.

The upper and lower ovens start up well also - though I could probably install new lighters - they do glow but take a while.

But the knobs that don't turn - can I fix them? WD40? Or some maintenance treatment?

They actually don't push in as they should and don't turn.

Thanks,

Dean

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I have pulled the knobs off and I can't get the stem to move without the knob. I suppose I need new valves?

Yes you need to replace the valves.

Give us a model number and we will give you the valve number.

Ok. I am not with the stove now. I will look for the model number - it is a Prestige Series with a lower and upper oven - fairly large unit. Where will I most likely find the model number?

I can't get the stem to move without the knob.

The stem needs to push inward prior to turning - try it with a known good knob

Moisture and crud build-up around the surface burner gas valve shafts will cause the shaft to lock up solid.

If they have the same valve as other Calorics and other brands that use the same style of valve you can take the two screws out of the shaft and front plate on the valve to remove the knob shaft and valve front cover and can sometimes if they aren't to badly fouled get them to turn again by spraying with WD40 or other penetrating fluids.

If you can get the shaft to start turning and clean the shaft so you can pull it out of the front plate then you can lube the shaft where it turns in the front plate with silicone valve grease to keep it turning smooth and from freezing/locking up again.

The model is:

AMANA

RST399UL

And serial number 9608305621

How do I get at the valves? My model stove has the upper oven hanging over the range and the lower oven. The gas burners are sealed - range top does not lift up. I undid some screws on the face plate that surrounds the burner valves but could no get the face plate off - there is a screw under the range to that holds the corner end pieces of the face plate on. Looks like I got to at least loosen the range top - really quite a bit of dismantling it seems.

What's the low down here - how do I get at the burner valves to replace them?

Thanks.