Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Caloric Prestige Series Range RST399UL - knobs won't push in or turn

Caloric Prestige Series

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OKNYC

OKNYC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

My Caloric Prestige Series stove oven combination has two control knobs that don't push in and don;t turn - and thus they don't pass gas and won't light. The other knobs are working - electronic ignition.

The upper and lower ovens start up well also - though I could probably install new lighters - they do glow but take a while.

But the knobs that don't turn - can I fix them? WD40? Or some maintenance treatment?
They actually don't push in as they should and don't turn.

Thanks,

Dean

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Try swapping the knobs with one that works, perhaps the knobs have stripped out.

Ten Commandments for Reading Appliance Model Numbers :)
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 OKNYC

OKNYC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

I have pulled the knobs off and I can't get the stem to move without the knob. I suppose I need new valves?

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

Yes you need to replace the valves.
Give us a model number and we will give you the valve number.

#5 OKNYC

OKNYC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Ok. I am not with the stove now. I will look for the model number - it is a Prestige Series with a lower and upper oven - fairly large unit. Where will I most likely find the model number?

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

I can't get the stem to move without the knob.

The stem needs to push inward prior to turning - try it with a known good knob
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 OKNYC

OKNYC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

I tried that. I swapped knobs many ways.

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,652 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Moisture and crud build-up around the surface burner gas valve shafts will cause the shaft to lock up solid.

If they have the same valve as other Calorics and other brands that use the same style of valve you can take the two screws out of the shaft and front plate on the valve to remove the knob shaft and valve front cover and can sometimes if they aren't to badly fouled get them to turn again by spraying with WD40 or other penetrating fluids.

If you can get the shaft to start turning and clean the shaft so you can pull it out of the front plate then you can lube the shaft where it turns in the front plate with silicone valve grease to keep it turning smooth and from freezing/locking up again.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 OKNYC

OKNYC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

The model is:
AMANA
RST399UL
And serial number 9608305621

#10 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

http://www.repaircli...Number=RST399UL

#11 OKNYC

OKNYC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

How do I get at the valves? My model stove has the upper oven hanging over the range and the lower oven. The gas burners are sealed - range top does not lift up. I undid some screws on the face plate that surrounds the burner valves but could no get the face plate off - there is a screw under the range to that holds the corner end pieces of the face plate on. Looks like I got to at least loosen the range top - really quite a bit of dismantling it seems.

What's the low down here - how do I get at the burner valves to replace them?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics