Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool WFW9300VU02 - Major rattle during spin cycles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kavadon

kavadon

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hi all, quick question for the knowledgeable masses....

Whirlpool front loader... bearings failed after 2 yrs of use. I replaced bearings and seal in Aug, 2011. Within one month after that, a noticeable rattle appeared in low and medium speeds during spins in the wash cycle. It appeared the noise was coming from the inner tub banging against the outer plastic housing after watching the shocks with front kick panel off (plastic housing was not hitting the inside of the main unit shell). Ok, perhaps one of the replaced bearings was faulty.....

I replaced the bearings and seal again 2 weeks ago with parts from a different source this time. Same problem with the rattle appeared after a couple of loads so I'm fairly certain it's not so much the replaced parts, but the question is what is running out of round during those spin cycles?

I've taken the back plate off and watched during the spin cycles. I see the pulley wheel running out of round a bit to cause the noise. Belt and motor looked fine. Curious if it's possible to have tightened the shaft nut too much during the first repair (and damaging the pulley since it looked like cast aluminum or powdered metal) or somehow I've bent the spin shaft on the inner tub? I did have to tap the shaft loose from the seized bearing in the first replacement.... so curious if anyone thinks it's the puller or the shaft on the tub.

Anybody else seen this before?

Edited by kavadon, 22 January 2012 - 12:24 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

If it was siezed badly enuff that ya had to beat it out...prolly need a new basket/shaft assembley.
Where did ya get the bearing/ seal? This is only officially available with the entire rear tub...
If you are extracting/replacing just this part from a non-OEM source, this could be the issue...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 kavadon

kavadon

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi, sorry for delay. Was out of pocket with work for a couple of days.

Kurtius, thanks for the reply. No - it was not the original assembly from the factory for the replacements. Wish I was rich enough to afford that (especially twice), but I'm just a poor working stiff trying to get by. Yes, the original teardown did need me to tap on the driveshaft with a block of wood to bust the seized bearing loose from the shat, so I suspect that might be most or all of the problem.

Next replacement will be to also replace the tub I guess. If that does not correct this, then the monster will be put out to pasture. At that point it would have been cheaper to buy a new machine and take my chances.

Thanks.

Edited by kavadon, 24 January 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

I don't know how a person could get the proper bearings and seal for these. Whirlpool does not make them available apart from the tub, and I don't see how a person could pick generic bearings of the right quality. If the factory water seal isn't available, what did you use?
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics