Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung DMR78AHS dishwasher runs nonstop and do not enters drying cycle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 multi_greg

multi_greg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

At first, Samsung DMR78AHS dishwasher stopped during the washing cycle and displayed HE error code (Heating Element). Prior, I also noticed it wasn’t washing or drying well. Then my plumber discovered that the dishwasher never was properly installed (thank you Lowe’s!): The discharge hose was fished directly through the subfloor and attached to a P-trap down in the basement. My plumber thinks the dishwasher continuously drained water, thus exposing the heating element causing it to probably burn-out overtime... Is that possible?

After this discovery, I properly connected the discharge hose to the sink per the installation instruction to see what that would do but didn’t replace the heating element. The dishwasher would now work and no longer displays HE error code but would never enter into the drying cycle: The countdown timer freezes at the 22 minutes mark and seemed would continue washing forever if I didn’t manually stop the cycle.

I would love to make this thing work and use it a little longer if worth the time/$ to fix it! Where to start? What should I begin to test/replace? Heating element? PC Board?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

Check the continuity of the HEATING ELEMENT with a test meter---if "open" replace the HEATING ELEMENT.

If "good"---it's very likely that the HEATER RELAY---located on the right side of the dishwasher at floor level---has failed.

During the DRY CYCLE---there should be 120 volts AC coming from the HEATER RELAY---to the element.

Most HEATING ELEMENT or HEATER RELAY failures occurred in homes that had a "Tankless/Instant Water Heater".

Other possibles are:

1) One of the DOOR SWITCHES FAILED
2) MAIN BOARD (very rare)
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 multi_greg

multi_greg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the help.
A couple more questions:
What does a HEATER RELAY looks like?
What does a DOOR SWITCH looks like and where is it located?

#4 multi_greg

multi_greg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

What does a HEATER RELAY looks like?
What does a DOOR SWITCH looks like and where is it located?

Are these parts the correct parts?
Dishwasher Door Latch - DD34-00002B ==> http://www.repaircli...400002B/1603323
Dishwasher Power Relay - 3501-000260 ==> http://www.repaircli...1000260/2028620

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 23 January 2012 - 09:35 AM.
Deleted images from competing parts vendor. Added part links.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,056 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

And forget about the heating element ==> http://www.repaircli...Number=DMR78AHS

DIYers: Save time and money by learning the secrets of appliance repair... Click Here!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Tips for troubleshooting a Samsung dishwasher with an HE (heating element) error

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 23 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

This problem could manifest as the dishwasher running nonstop and not entering the drying cycle. Academy Fellow john63 points us in the right direction:

Check the continuity of the HEATING ELEMENT with a test meter---if...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics