Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Asko T700 dryer overheating

asko t700 overheat thermostat

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 colm

colm

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

I have an Asko T700 tumble dryer that is overheating quite often. Not everytime, but maybe 1/4 of the time.

By overheating, I mean the thermostat switch in the back has to be reset. And the clothes are scorchingly hot. This has been going on for a whole year now, and each thing I have done seems to fix it, but then in a short period or time, the issue returns.

I have done the following:
cleaned out all air exhausts, the outside flex, the inside T, squirrel cage, everything. I mean everything. There is no lint anywhere in the system.
Brand new lint filter and door attachement, as the old ones had become to warped over the years to seal correctly.

I have put temperature probes into it

Clean out the heater element. Found a nail in there, but not the problem either.
So then
Replaced the Overheat thermostat.
worked fine for a month. then started overheating again.
Replaced the low heat thermostat
worked fine for a couple weeks, then would overheat
replaced the high heat thermostat.
same.

It does not seem to matter if it is on High heat, Low heat, Timed cycle, or Auto.

I'm about to give up on this thing. There can only be a handful of items left.
My first thought is maybe the switches inside the timer are sticking somehow and it isn't sending the relays the proper shutoff signal.
Second thought maybe the relays are sticking.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas before I go and waste money?

Thanks
Colm

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

check to make sure there is no heat when running an Air-Fluff cycle

check and clean your Venting System

Dryer Vent

Vent should be rigid metal.
Short lengths of flexible metal may be OK, if not crimped when moving the Dryer into place.
NO plastic
NO PVC
NO screws
Foil Duct Tape is OK.
With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F
Check / clean the Dryer Vent
Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.
Check the Vent air temperature at the back of the Dryer.

If you have a Harbor Freight Store near you,
 $ 4.99 sometimes on sale for $ 2.99
image_1255.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 colm

colm

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

There is no heat in the air-fluff cycle.
There is good flow coming out of the outside vent.
The venting system is clean.

The inside vent tubing is fairly short, but has to be have flex to allow the dryer to be pulled out of the cabinet that it is installed under. however, the flow is to the outside is uninterrupted. The cabinet is open to the front, so there is good airflow to the unit, so the unit is not starving for air.

I have had it over heat when unplugged from the outside venting system during tests. The venting is not the issue.

I have had a thermometer in the exhaust during operation, and when the unit is operating normally, the temperature cycles correctly. But when it doesn't operate correctly... well that's the problem.

#4 aj.appliance

aj.appliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Common problem on the Asko - 2 things to check:

Take your filter to the sink and scrub it clean. The filters have such a fine mesh, they become clogged over time. Use a soft brissle brush and clean filter well.

Check blower wheel. Front left in lower panel. Cover held on by one or two T10 torx screws and clips. The blowers are small and can easily become packed with lint.

Edited by aj.appliance, 30 January 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#5 colm

colm

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

As I said before:
There is NO lint anywhere. I took apart nearly the entire dryer, vacuuming it out, and cleaning it.
I also have a huge amount of air coming out of the exhaust, by no means is it having any sort of ventilation issue.

The filter is brand new (in Dec), and has also been cleaned via scrubbing since then.

Are there any other ideas?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

The venting system is clean.

A dryer vent can be free of lint and still be bad, meaning having excessive backpressure.

The inside vent tubing is fairly short, but has to be have flex to allow the dryer to be pulled out of the cabinet that it is installed under

A common problem with flex hose is that it kinks or constricts to a small cross sectional area when the unit is pushed back into place. What kind of material is the flex made out of: vinyl, foil, unobtainium...?

If you're convinced the vent is not the problem (I'm not... but I don't count) then replace the cycling thermostat ==> Cycling Thermostat

#7 colm

colm

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

The flex is a foil variety, and looking at it there are no places where it looks crushed or has been kinked hard. Additionally, if I bring the dryer out from under the cabinet, but leave the flex attached so it is nice and taught and straight with obvioiusly not one single bend, kink, or anything constricting in any nature, I have the same airflow at the outside of the house as when the dryer is pushed back.

Additionally, when it is sitting in the middle of the laundry room, I have disconnected the venting, so it is blowing hot air straight into the room. The room itself
is open, so it wasn't just overheating the whole room. And it can still trip off the overheating thermostat

I have replaced all the thermostats as well, the 2 in the front, and the 1 in the back (although there are actually 2 in back that there daisy chaind together).
And it still will overheat about 1 out of 4 times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics