Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore(Whirlpool) French Door Bottom Freezer 596.75533400 No Water Flow

Stumped me big time.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mehoss

mehoss

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi folks,
I have hit a very strange problem. I think this is the second one actually, the first incident the customer (and I) gave up on. Now I have hit it again. Here is the issue. No water to the inside dispenser or ice maker. Must be the filter or valve, right?? Well nope, I have the water filter bypass installed and was about to replace the water valve when I thought I would remove everything and simply try water from the supply up to the filter (bypassed) and out of the filter into a bucket. I fully expected water to flow. Nope, no water. The only way I could get water to flow for about 10 seconds was to turn the water valve on very minimal (low pressure) and it flowed for about 10 seconds weakly then shut off. There are no valves or anything in the water "circuit" just the line headed up to the water filter with a bypass on it. I can even blow with my mouth into the filter assy and air comes out the other end, but when water is run, it shuts off.
Also when everything is hooked up, If I loosen (and then tighten) the filter bypass I hear a sudden rush of water and it will dispense for a few seconds, then shut down.
I know that this sounds as if I need to replace the entire water filter assy, I find it hard to believe.

anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance!

-Henry

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 mehoss

mehoss

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm going to replace the water filter head unit in next few days, I'll update my post with the results.

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

You aren't, by chance, connecting it to a FloodSafe inlet line are you ?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

.. FloodSafe inlet line are you ?

OR any "funny" Hoses ?
Are you using a "saddle clamp" water supply ?
Those Valves usually get clogged

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 mehoss

mehoss

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

It is not a saddle valve, it is a 1/4 turn valve. Hmm...flood-safe....i don't know. It IS acting like it is attempting to prevent water from flowing out of it.
I notice a strange brass fitting on the input to the filter down near the valve, is that a floodsafe device I wonder?
Before I replace the filter head unit, I will open just the valve and see if it pours unrestricted into a bowl for a few seconds. If so, I will replace the filter head unit. If not, the valve gots ta go! The fellow behind the appliance parts counter says he sells a lot of those head units, mentioned that as soon as customers replace the filter, they start having issues.
I promise to update this thread as soon as they let me back into their home.

Edited by mehoss, 15 September 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#6 mehoss

mehoss

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

SOLVED!
OK, well never got back to THIS one, but many similar repairs later, I can honestly say that the HEAD UNITS suck big time with these new water filter models. Seems whirlpool and GE and Korean units all have this issue. I performed an autopsy on one of the head units and found that the rubber seals that allow you to remove the filter and keep the water from spilling out were expanded. This may be from the wonderful chemicals added to the drinking water around here. I now tell my customers that I will bypass the Head unit and install a filter on the back of the fridge. It's a great solution because the replacement filters are about $12 and not $40 each.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics