Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How to Defeat ALL PC Computer Cooties

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Will MSE and regular Windows updates give me all the protection I need? I run Windows XP on an old Compaq Evo mini-desktop.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and it has something called Defender.

I also run AVG now on both machines, is it even necessary to pay for this program if Windows has all the protection I'd need?
First, do no harm.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light or Vodka

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

I have been working with computers since before Windows 3.1, and I have not had a virus in 25 years, and my computers work like they are on Speed. Since Windows XP came out I have always used a good utility program to clean my regisrty, remove my junk files and optimize my system. There are 100's out ther for free. The best I have found is Advanced SystenCare. The current versin is 6.0. I think it costs about 10 bucks a year to license the pro version, which does somethings that the free version can't and some things automatically that the free version doesn't. The free version will keep your computer running fast if you run the full scan at least once a week. I just checked it's acually $15 for the Pro version. Try the free for a while and see what you want to do. Here is the link for the free verdion just hit the download button and then run the full scan.You do need a program like Microsoft Security Essentials which is what I run. AVG, Avast and others are fine free programs. And Samurai, I would run a anti-virus program on a computer I didn't connect to the internet. Memory is real cheap these days.

http://download.cnet...tml?tag=mncol;1

Edited by richseattle56, 28 October 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#23 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Free

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Will MSE and regular Windows updates give me all the protection I need? I run Windows XP on an old Compaq Evo mini-desktop.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and it has something called Defender.

I also run AVG now on both machines, is it even necessary to pay for this program if Windows has all the protection I'd need?

First off, you don't run 2 AV's as they will conflict and cause problems. So if you are using AVG you don't want to run MSSE. If you are paying for AVG then wait until your subscription runs out and then either change over to their free version, or completely uninstall it using the instructions found here: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-4416

In answer to your question though, it is not necessary to pay for AV. MSSE is free (and good) and virtually every other AV has a free version. Personally i like MSSE because of it's small footprint. If you are happy with (and familiar with) AVG then use there free version. Uninstall the paid for version using the link above and then install the free.

Your windows "Defender." Defender is NOT an antri virus program. I would suggest you download MSSE for that computer. When you install MSSE, it will automatically disable your Defender. Don't worry, that is normal.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics