Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Advantium Microwave SCA2001 won't heat etc.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 binthere222

binthere222

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have noticed alot of message traffic on various sites about the Advantium Microwaves failing to heat not long after the warranty expires.

There is little guidance on the problem and it's solution.

1. This is a Microwave designed by attorneys, lots of attorneys. :wc: Even the software in the recipes gives you legalese pronouncements such as, "plate is hot" or "only use authorized plate".
Too bad they couldn't put diagnostic messages in like "door switch error, buy one for $5".

2. Since there is an overabundance of protection in the system, there are actually THREE door switches.

3. It appears that the upper door switch is exposed to unshielded emissions from the microwave horn and is prone to burn out over time (just after the warranty expires usually).

4. The first picture is a view into the cabinet behind the control panel. The upper door safety switch is visiblly burned and the tang insulator is even blackened. To get inside the cabinet a. Unplug the unit at the wall socket, b.remove two screws from the top of the black plastic louvers at the top of the cabinet (you may have to open any cabinet doors above the unit) then remove the black plastic louver. c. remove the single stainless steel screw revealed at the top of the controlo panel, then tilt out the top of the panel and pull out the two plastic tabs at the bottom of the panel which fit into two slots.

5. Examine the safety switches and connectors for signs of burning.

6. If no visible burning, Remove the switches and check them for continuity with an ohmmeter. The switches should be closed when the button is pushed.

7. Use the part number molded into the side of the switch body to order a replacement or see the parts listing linked to this site.

Attached File  CabinetViewb.jpg   97.57KB   13 downloads
Ever Seen Stevie Wonder's House? Neither Has HE !

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Good Work !
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

most all Microwave have (3) Door Switches...
One of then is designed to actually short across the the incoming power line and blow the internal Fuse
IF one or the other Door Switches dosn't "toggle" in the correct sequence.
Do you need the Service Manual

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics