Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Intermittent filling problem with Maytag MDB9100 AWB JETCLEAN DISHWASHER EQ - Plus!

intermittent filling

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 drcarl

drcarl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chimay

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

(1) How much current is needed to open the valve?

A friend says that 95 VAC should be enough to power the magnets; (2) Is it?

He also mentions that I should connect a test cord directly to the valve to see if it opens.

(3) what's a test cord?

(4) should I test the valve with a test cord?

Methinks this valve testing is ground already covered; of course, please correct me if I am mistaken.

(I kind of plan to replace the valve if the problem persists after installing a second refurbed control board)

THANK YOU for sharing your expertise

~drcarl

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Cheater Cord

Good idea - enrgize is for several fill cycles, and drain the machine in between - if it's a bad valve it'll fail on ya like it does when operated - I have seen valves refuse to work below 105 volts
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#43 drcarl

drcarl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

kdog, thank you for essentially answering all of my questions! Sometimes I think I ask too many (that's partially why I number them; it's also to make specific answers more convenient)

I made a cheater/test cord out of an old computer power cord and attached it securely to the valve's power prongs. When I plugged her in the first time, she filled as expected. I drained her, and filled her this way a second time and got a complete fill. I performed the second drain, and then, when I plugged-in my cheater cord for a third fill, I got............nothing, zero, nada, zilch.

Looks like I'll be reaching for my Teflon tape once I order and receive a new valve.

I am still concerned that the power supplied to the valve is 112VAC for the first fill, then halfway through the second fill (and for subsequent fills) it drops to 95VAC. If, once I receive and install it, the second refurbished master control board acts this way with a voltage drop, (just like the first refurb I installed and the board I have now), I'll be sending it back for a refund.

Something tells me that if three boards are acting the same way, it's not the board, and that since the valve failed after the second fill when powered with 120 VAC directly, well, you guessed it spot-on in your first post, it's the valve!

Thank you for your input!

~drcarl

#44 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

We'll be interested to see how it turns out
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#45 drcarl

drcarl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

For the official record: it was the valve (though I am baffled how a valve can make the VAC drop)

Thank you for all your input!

~drcarl

#46 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

Wow! This problem could have been solved with the first post from kdog. Sometimes overthinking a problem causes total confusion. :unsure: Oh well, chalk it up to a learning experience. :thumbsup:

#47 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,054 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

Wow! This problem could have been solved with the first post from kdog. Sometimes overthinking a problem causes total confusion.

Wisdom! Let us attend!

#48 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for updating the post - I'm certain it will help others in the future. Ironically, I have seen several occasions where the voltage supplied by the control was below 100 volts and just would not open the valve. We can take from this that the simple way to determine this outcome would have been to simply hook a known good valve to the valve terminals (vlave loose,in-hand, no water hookup) and make the voltage measurement a second time with the sample connected. If the voltage was then good - go ahead and commence with it's installation.

#49 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

For the official record: it was the valve
(though I am baffled how a valve can make the VAC drop)

a Valve with a few (or more) shorted windings can draw more current than the Controller can handle,
and would strain the Driver Transistor on the Controller, to a point where the voltage would be reduced.
If enough windings were shorted, it could blow the Controller.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#50 drcarl

drcarl

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

I have been guilty of over thinking. Oh, well.

I still wonder how a valve can screw-up the VAC.

THANKS to all

~drcarl

RegUS_PatOff - just saw your post. *bows* THANK you for a real answer.

And, again, thanks to all else who helped

~drcarl

#51 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

if you still have the old Valve,
measure it's resistance OHMs, and compare it to the new Valve

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics