Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

JPAmerica

GE Dryer Not Shutting Off

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a GE Dryer (MODEL: DWXR473ET5WW) that no longer shuts off automatically..it just keeps running. There is heat & the dryer does shut off when the timed drying session is selected. Could someone point me in the right direction. Could it be the cycle thermostat?

Thaks in advance for the help!

Josh

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

One stage of your heater is burned out/broken...

Open the dryer up and remove the drum to view element and confirm.

Part link to the heating element ==> Heating Element

And how to test it...

The difference in the element shown it the tutorial and yours is slight, but worth noting.

Yours will be round with two passes of heater coil...one will be compromised.

Bumping this thread back from the dead, as I'm having the same issue! The timed mode will function and shut off the dryer, but the automatic mode will not advance, so the dryer continues to dry forever. Both heater coils are working (they measure @ 19.5Ω). The timer resistor also measures 4500Ω, so that's within spec?

I don't ordinarily use the timed mode, so I'm not sure if this is normal, but the timer begins advancing (ticking) as soon as the dial is rotated into position, even though the dryer hasn't been started.

Edited by GNBrews

Nevermind. I took another look at it tonight, and one of the coils was indeed broken. It was broken behind a ceramic insulator, and was making intermittent contact. After a little bit of manipulation, it was clear that it was broken. Thanks for the initial response to the OP, it helped me as well!