Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch Dishwasher SHU33A06UC/43 Does Not Heat Water

Bosch Dishwasher Heating Control Board

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buchawk

buchawk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cold

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

My Bosch dishwasher started taking forever to finish and was not heating the water at all. I found this wonderful site and after looking at the bear it looked like to get at the heating element, I figured I'd try the 5th law (water /= circuit boards) and look at the control board.

One of the solders on the back is burnt really badly. Left a 3/4 inch burn mark on the plastic cover. The flip side of this burnt solder is a relay box ( http://www.mouser.co...Kz4NLJcTSVoPbo= ).

Is it possible to resolder this to fix or is it too burnt out? Also, is this most likely the cause of the heating problem or could it be some other problem and I still have a bad heater?

I included pics of the front and back of the board showing which relay the burnt solder was under.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 buchawk

buchawk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

After searching the forums, it looks like the relay/solder that went bad is for sure the heater relay. I have no soldering gun and no experience with soldering anything and here's my next question--The pin seems to be completely obliterated. Does this mean resolering is no good? The relay itself can be found for less than $2. Can I replace that, clean and sand the opening really good and resolder?

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

... Can I replace that, clean and sand the opening really good and resolder?

yes, worth a try

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 buchawk

buchawk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

I ordered a new relay (like $4 for the part, $12 for shipping oy vey). I bought a soldering gun and accessories and unsoldered out the old relay leaving a few nice clean holes and one burny looking one. My concern is the circuit board is damaged. Any suggestions?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

... $4 for the part, $12 for shipping oy vey).
... My concern is the circuit board is damaged. Any suggestions?

1) may have been worth ordering (2)
2) if there's not much circuitry left to solder, you could always add a jumper wire to wherever that trace goes

#6 buchawk

buchawk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

I ordered this relay ( http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?id=81C8194&Ntt=81C8194 ) and installed it with marginal soldering skills at best (it was my first solder). Took me longer to figure out how the plastic control module fit back onto the dishwasher faceplate than the soldering but I finally got it on there. Powered it up and nothing. Forgot the fuse was still off when I was tinkering with it. So I power it on and run a test cycle and at least for now, the water got super heated. Stopped that cycle and put dishes in and they are running now. Keeping fingers crossed.

I have two questions going forward. #1 I'm getting a very faint smell of burnt electronics from the circuit board (I have not put the large faceplate back on yet). Is this kind of normal with a fresh solder? Or is this likely a problem with a bad solder?

#2 Is it pronounced sollder or sawder?

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

... I'm getting a very faint smell of burnt electronics from the circuit board
... Is this kind of normal with a fresh solder? Or is this likely a problem with a bad solder?
.. Is it pronounced sollder or sawder?

not normal, may want to "feel" the solder joint for heat (disconnect power)
pronounced saaaa der

#8 buchawk

buchawk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

not normal, may want to "feel" the solder joint for heat (disconnect power)
pronounced saaaa der

After letting the cycle run and man the heater is certainly working, the smell may be from the insulation on the door or something. It's almost rubbery more than electrical. Either way I have to nearly press my nose up to the door get even get a whiff.

Thank you RegPat and Samurai Appliance Repair Man for this most awesomest site. Saved me a bunch of money and made me look like a hero in the family.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bosch, Dishwasher, Heating, Control Board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics