Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE WASHER ROARS DURING SPIN CYCLE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CUDANUT

CUDANUT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

We have a new design (bought new in 2000) GE washer that roars during spin cycle. The noise sounds like a bearing and is getting louder by the day. I pulled the front cover and saw a little water in the cupped area at the bottom of the transmission where the pulley attaches. Is there a bearing that can be replaced here?? The water was observed to be coming from the top where the trans connects to the tub. It's not much but any water is bad....I know GE washers are trash but I can't afford a new one at this point. Would it be possible to fix this one or should I shop for a used older (better made) models?? If I were to buy a top loader which models are better?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:59 PM

Post your model number.

#3 CUDANUT

CUDANUT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

WBSR1060TAWW

#4 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:09 PM

You need,

transmission

tub bearing

airbell coupling (maybe)

hub nut

air bell screw.

If you are paying full price for these parts, DON'T.

Buy a new one.

You could call GE and ask them this question this way.  "Assuming I have a bad transmission, how much will it cost to repair?"

If you can get them to send you the transmission at no cost might be worth fixing.  Are you extremely handy?

#5 CUDANUT

CUDANUT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

Yes, I can fix most anything. I have repaired everything from cameras to cars and heavy equipment. It would not be a problem except for the tools. I would probably have to make a spanner wrench. What should I tell GE in order for them to consider this??

#6 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:50 PM

Read your owners manual,  See if your tranny is still under warranty.  Tell them what you told us here.  Your description of the problem is classic..

Behind the console on the left side is the tech sheet.  It has basic instructions on how to do it.  If you have specific questions,  post them here.  Samurai can get you decent universal spanner wrench.

#7 CUDANUT

CUDANUT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

Manual says trans has 5 yr warranty parts only. The purchase was made around 03/00 but the recipt has faded to the point it cannot be read. (it was on that slick thermal paper from H/Depot) I will call tomorrow and plead my case....I see GE has increased the warranty on their newer models to 10 years parts and labor, sell your GE stock now!! (see link for info)

http://products.geap...03674228#page=1

#8 CUDANUT

CUDANUT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

Called GE and they said the transmission would be covered under parts only warranty as long as a GE certified technician verified the problem and ordered the parts. The cost would be $69.95 for the service call (I am in a rural area) plus labor. With labor rates being what they are this could easily be a $150.00 plus job which is more than I can afford at this point. Does anyone know what the flat rate is for this job??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics