Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
CUDANUT

GE WASHER ROARS DURING SPIN CYCLE

8 posts in this topic

We have a new design (bought new in 2000) GE washer that roars during spin cycle. The noise sounds like a bearing and is getting louder by the day. I pulled the front cover and saw a little water in the cupped area at the bottom of the transmission where the pulley attaches. Is there a bearing that can be replaced here?? The water was observed to be coming from the top where the trans connects to the tub. It's not much but any water is bad....I know GE washers are trash but I can't afford a new one at this point. Would it be possible to fix this one or should I shop for a used older (better made) models?? If I were to buy a top loader which models are better?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Post your model number.

You need,

transmission

tub bearing

airbell coupling (maybe)

hub nut

air bell screw.

If you are paying full price for these parts, DON'T.

Buy a new one.

You could call GE and ask them this question this way.  "Assuming I have a bad transmission, how much will it cost to repair?"

If you can get them to send you the transmission at no cost might be worth fixing.  Are you extremely handy?

Yes, I can fix most anything. I have repaired everything from cameras to cars and heavy equipment. It would not be a problem except for the tools. I would probably have to make a spanner wrench. What should I tell GE in order for them to consider this??

Read your owners manual,  See if your tranny is still under warranty.  Tell them what you told us here.  Your description of the problem is classic..

Behind the console on the left side is the tech sheet.  It has basic instructions on how to do it.  If you have specific questions,  post them here.  Samurai can get you decent universal spanner wrench.

Manual says trans has 5 yr warranty parts only. The purchase was made around 03/00 but the recipt has faded to the point it cannot be read. (it was on that slick thermal paper from H/Depot) I will call tomorrow and plead my case....I see GE has increased the warranty on their newer models to 10 years parts and labor, sell your GE stock now!! (see link for info)

http://products.geappliances.com/ProdContent/Dispatcher?REQUEST=ITEMID&itemid=003674228#page=1

Called GE and they said the transmission would be covered under parts only warranty as long as a GE certified technician verified the problem and ordered the parts. The cost would be $69.95 for the service call (I am in a rural area) plus labor. With labor rates being what they are this could easily be a $150.00 plus job which is more than I can afford at this point. Does anyone know what the flat rate is for this job??