LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Rheem 21vp50e-1A need owner's manual to change sacrificial rod

Jocelyn Karole Lian

Jocelyn Karole Lian

Does anyone have a copy of the owner's manual for Rheem water heater? I haven't changed it for 5 years; not sure if it's worth it at this point. I just read that you only need to change it once every 5 years, so I want to give it a try.

depends on your water quality...

from a Rheem Water Heater Use & Care Manual:

Anode Rod

This water heater is equipped with an anode rod designed to prolong the life of the glass lined tank.

The anode rod is slowly consumed, thereby eliminating or minimizing corrosion of the glass lined tank.

Water sometimes contains a high sulfate and/or mineral content and together with cathodic protection process

can produce a hydrogen sulfide, or rotten egg odor in the heated water.

Chlorination of the water supply should minimize the problem

The anode rod should be removed from the water heater’s tank annually for inspection

and replaced when more than 6”(15 cm) of core wire is exposed at either end of the rod.

Make sure the cold water supply is turned off before removing anode rod.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just a thought here.  After draining mine (same type of w.h.) I tried to pull out the anode.  I think it takes a 15/16" socket.  That baby was not going anywhere even with a breaker bar and some healthy blows.  It would probably take an impact tool to get mine out- if ever.  I was moving the tank around with the wrench.  Not good.

Ghost

Yeah they are extremely tough to get out. I use a two foot long 1/2" drive breaker bar with a cheater bar and an impact and sometimes they just won't budge. Permanently seized. Which tells me they were never changed and by then, they are rusted shut. Even with a second set of muscles helping. Socket size is correct. You may be better off replacing the water heater, depending on its age. If you do get a new one, place water heater on its side, still in the box, loosen the anode and apply a quality antiseize thread compound. Tighten anode and then it's ready at the 3-5 year change out time.

Good luck.