Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore fridge/freezer 106.52609100 frost & ice accumulation/drain keeps freezing

drain freeze kenmore frost

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hey everyone-

I have a problem with the freezer portion of my Kenmore fridge that is driving me nuts. Problem started with me noticing the floor of the freezer was covered with ice. Ice was also completely covering the drain pan and drain hole beneath the heating coils in the back of the freezer. I melted and got rid of all the ice, and also unfroze and completely cleared the drain hole and passage leading to the drip tray under the fridge. Everything was fine for about a week, but then I noticed that frost was steadily accumulating around the drain hole. I cleared the frost out and made sure the passage was clear again, but over a period of several days I noticed the frost accumulate again. As an experiment, I decided to let several more days go by to see if the frost would simply disappear by being melted during defrost cycles. Eventually, the frost turned to thicker ice and then of course froze the drain completely closed again. Once again I cleared out all of the ice and made sure the drain was clear, and then the problem happened again about another week later.

One other clue is that my freezer fan seems to never stop running. I don't know the internal temperature, but things seem to be colder than they are supposed to be. Also, in the last week, I've noticed that frost has actually started accumulating on the walls of of the freezer, itself... Any help I could glean from y'all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance-

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Is your fresh food compartment cooling OK?

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

what are the Fridge and Freezer temperatures ?
Is the Compressor running "forever" ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Next time you're in there, install a drain heater strap on the element to help prevent freeze-ups - here:

http://www.repaircli...7272&locID=2583
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the replies. Just now getting home from work and seeing them-

jumptrout, yes, my fresh food compartment seems to be cooling ok.

RegUS_PatOff, I don't know the temps yet. I guess I'll need to put a thermometer in there tomorrow and see and then report back. FWIW, changing the freezer temp using the controls in the fridge doesn't seem to affect the temp, but that's just an observation without any real numbers... Yes, it does seem as if the compressor does not ever turn off.

kdog, thanks for the tip. I will definitely do that 'mod' soon to try and help with the issue.

I read something somewhere about thermistors going bad... Do you guys think that might be happening with mine?

Thanks again,

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

See This Page: http://fixitnow.com/...-frost-pattern/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

See This Page: http://fixitnow.com/...-frost-pattern/

Thanks for the post kdog. The article refers to symptoms of warm fridge, etc, which I am not experiencing at this point. Are you saying the evaporator coil issues could also be causing my excessive icing in the freezer?

#8 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Quick update: Just measured the temps with my inexpensive thermometer and I'm reading about 40 degrees in the fridge and about minus 15-20 degrees in the freezer.

Does that provide any more clues? Thanks again-

#9 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

The freezer temps. Are you stating below "0" or below freezing(32f)?

#10 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

The freezer temps. Are you stating below "0" or below freezing(32f)?

According to my cheap thermometer, 15-20 degrees below "0".

Also a new update: The compressor just shut off as I was entering this post. I haven't heard it stop running in days, but then again I'm not seated by it 24/7.

#11 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Based upon freezer temps the fresh food side is not cooling down well. Could be the cause of the long run time. The temp never gets down to cycle the thermostat off.
May also be the cause of the ice accumulation in the freezer. Check the damper between the freezer and ff section.
Is it blocked or partially blocked with Ice?
Is it closed and not letting air flow to FF section?

#12 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Check the damper between the freezer and ff section.
Is it blocked or partially blocked with Ice?
Is it closed and not letting air flow to FF section?

Damper is not blocked, and airflow coming out on the FF section is pretty strong. I lowered the temp of the FF section to see if that helps. It does seem to keep the compressor from running as long; however my frost accumulation problem still exists in the freezer above the drain hole.

#13 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Last night I cleared out all of the ice from the bottom of my freezer, and also the drain hole under the drip tray, making sure the drain passage was completely clear again. After only 8 hours, frost started accumulating again at the drain. Attached is a picture of what it looked like this morning. The longer I let it go, the more frost builds, until it eventually completely ices the drain and clogs it. It seems to be accumulating after the defrost cycle, frosting as a result of moisture or a few drops of water left around the drain hole. Is this a problem with the heating element not doing a good-enough job of drying the water, or do you think the water is simply just not making its way to the drain hole passage? The passage is kind of tight in there... It's lined with rubber but is rather narrow. I tried making the opening bigger by taking a couple of screwdrivers and trying to expand from the top and bottom.Posted Image

#14 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Check both door seals with a dollar bill. You will be looking for weak spots in the seals.
Place the bill in the door in several places around the door and pull it out. If it pulls out with no resistance you have a poor seal letting excess moisture in.

#15 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

Here is what happens if the frost goes unchecked. Notice that the drain pan, as well as the entire surface underneath is covered with ice. It eventually clogs completely and then the water just runs to the floor of the freezer.Posted Image

Ice-covered floor:Posted Image

#16 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Looks like water could be leaking from icemaker and making it's way down there - disable icemaker and/or check all lines and the I/M mould carefully for leaks

#17 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Definate problem with drain termination in freezer section I would blow out drain or run hot water through it and clear obstruction!!! The heater strap is a great idea and would use it feeling confident your problems would be solved if not clogged with debris!!!!

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

yes, do the George Washington test on both of the Door Gaskets.
Turn off water supply to IceMaker.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#19 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

kdog and derik, I think you are onto something with the heater strap mod. Where would I find the correct kit for my Kenmore fridge? Is there a link up here where I can find one?

As for the possibility of the ice maker leaking, I can't find any evidence of that at this point but I will check the lines, etc.

Maybe y'all could tell me if things are operating properly based on my description: During what I am assuming to be the 'defrost' stage, if I look through the slats at the drip tray, I can see droplets of water falling from the coils above it. It's not a steady flow, it's just intermittent dripping. The water falls to the drip tray, and of course some of it goes to the drain hole. A handful of drops freeze onto the drip tray. Does that sound like proper operation?

Thanks again for all of the help so far!!!

#20 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Heat Probe Kit Click Link to order

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics