Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Short cycle times on Kenmore 253.65802508 fridge

cycle time kenmore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justyouraveragelimodriver

justyouraveragelimodriver

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi. I'm new here and have a question regarding my Kenmore 6580 refrigerator.

I THINK this is a new problem developing with my fridge. At the medium temp setting (which I've kept for 3 years), the freezer now is at 10 degrees and the fridge is at 42. I have recently noticed that it turns on for about 3 1/2 minutes, then off for about 8 minutes. The compressor and fan run while it's on. After about 8 minutes of running, I hear the thermostat kick out and everything shuts off properly.

It seems to me that when we first got it (about 3 years ago), it ran much longer (maybe 10 or 15 minutes). It also seems to me that these longer on-times were the norm until the last few days. Unfortunately I don't remember the original temps that both compartments used to be.

I turned the thermostat to a colder setting (almost all the way up) to test it today and it then ran 5 minutes and turned off for 8. After an hour, the freezer was at 8 and the fridge was down to 40 so I'm assuming over time the temp would have come down more.

I also just tried turning the thermostat to the coldest setting and it runs for about 9 minutes, then shuts off for about 8. (I'm kind of surprised that the coldest setting doesn't run it continuously, but what the heck do I know).

FYI: This fridge has a coil attached to the back, not below, and it's clean.

So my question is on a non-energy efficient fridge ("479kwh/year") unit, would 4 or 5 on and 8 off be a possible normal sounding cycle? I don't think there's been any major change in loads of either the freezer or fridge.

Thanks.

Terry

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Ten Commandments for Reading Appliance Model Numbers :)
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 justyouraveragelimodriver

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ten Commandments for Reading Appliance Model Numbers :)

Guess that means I'll be going to appliance hell. :confused: Sorry. The full model number is 253.65802508.

Terry

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Guess that means I'll be going to appliance hell. .

That Fridge will never cut it down there - Edited topic title
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Your Thermostat may be getting Flakey - see if you can gently tap on the knob and cause it to cut in/out - if so, come get a new one.

http://www.repaircli...er=253.65802508

Temperature-Control-5304421256-00839340.

#6 justyouraveragelimodriver

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Well, Mr. Guru Sir, I tapped on the thermostat while it was running and nothing happened. BUT, then it KEPT running for more like 20 or 25 minutes :thumbsup: (like I'm pretty sure it used to), and then shut off. It was off for 23 minutes and started back up. (Sounds better than 3 1/2 on, 8 off, and running about 6 degrees higher). I think you're right. Thermostat is going out (or at least flaky).

BTW: Before the thermostat tapping, the lowest temps I could get were 40 in the fridge and 9 in the freezer. After the tapping, I'm sure I could freeze the fridge. Back at about the halfway thermostat setting, now fridge temp is 36 and the freezer is at 3.

If it's like most mechanical parts, they generally don't fix themselves so I'll probably order a new one and just replace it.

Thanks!

Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics