Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Under counter Kitchenaid ice machine KUIS18NNTB2 began making a high pitched humming noise

Kitchenaid ice machine screech

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drstroud

drstroud

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

My ice machine started making a high pitched noise. There was a layer of ice in the reservoir. I ran it through a clean cycle and cleaned the coils (which were quite dusty). Than I restarted it. Approximately 24 hrs later it did the same thing again.

Prior to the first episode, I had emptied the storage bin to fill a cooler.

Any idea what is causing ice to form in the reservoir? I feel like this is the main symptom of the root problem leading to the screech/hum.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Compressor
Condenser fan motor
water pump
These are the 3 things on this machine that could make a sound as you described.
Since none of us are there you will have to determine which is going bad and making the sound.
Probably not the compressor.

#3 drstroud

drstroud

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

If I get this ice out of the reservoir and turn the machine back on, it operates fine...making ice as if everything is fine. I am just wondering what causes the ice to get below freezing in the reservoir.

If I get this ice out of the reservoir and turn the machine back on, it operates fine...making ice as if everything is fine. I am just wondering what causes the ice to get below freezing in the reservoir.

Meant to say "water to get below freezing in the reservoir."

#4 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Appears to me your circ pump is failing...next time it makes the noise,check to see that water is cascading over the freeze plate.
If not, access the plug to the circulation pump and disconnect it. Does the noise stop? Then there you are.

I have only seen the water reservior freeze on units who's. Circ pump has failed...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,450 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

Circulation pump part link ==> Circulation Pump

#6 drstroud

drstroud

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

I was able to buy a pump and repaired the machine. Thanks for the help! Now it seems to be making too much ice...have I damaged another part? My research is telling me the thermistor may need replacing. What's going to go bad next?!

#7 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Too much? Is the ice piling up on the door and falling out when you open it?
Yea, verily...may have a bin thermistor problem..
Usually see those fail open or shorted...take a resistance reading and do tell.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kitchenaid, ice machine, screech

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics