Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

SubZero 690/SE M1971808: Is this a Defrost Terminator Thermosat problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gowestwardho

gowestwardho

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I noticed that for at least the past two days there was a strange throbbing noise in the house. I finally today narrowed it down to the 690S which appeared to be running pretty much nonstop. As soon as I opened up the hood I noticed the fan wasn't running and the compartment with the two black canisters (compressors?) seemed too hot.

I "think" I saw EC 21 but I can't say for sure - and for some bizaare reason SubZero allows you to go back and recall the Temp Codes (F, r, FE, rE) but not the Error Codes (bummer). At the time those temp codes read: F -11, rE 34, FE -04, r 42. OK, so even though my fins were clean I went over everything and cleaned it up again.

SO TWO PROBLEMS: 1)In researching, it appears I have either a faulty Defrost Terminator Thermostat, or another system leak? (SubZero did a whole retrofit on this a few years back as they had mfg defects with the old materials used).
And 2) NOW THE UNIT ISN'T COMING ON AT ALL. Yikes!

PS, I've already replaced the door switches and al the thermistors in years past - each of which I bought from you, BTW

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 gowestwardho

gowestwardho

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

UPDATE: At least now the unit has just turned back ON and the fan is running.
So as to the rest of my problem....any advice

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

may need to see the frost pattern of the Evaporator Coils inside the Fridge and the Freezer

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 woftam

woftam

Yamabushi

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

Can you get current thermistor readings? When you seen fan motor not running could you hear compressors running?
There is a huge difference between 10 years experience and one years experience ten times over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics