Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GTS22WCMBRWW which control board

refrigerator ge control board

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 luptonma

luptonma

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chimay

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

I have an 8 year old GE GTS22ICMBRWW top freezer that came with our new house (builder supplied). The compressor had stopped working intermittently a few years ago. After much consternation I pulled the main board completely out and saw that the connectors had just about the worst solder job I'd ever seen. Some of the connector pins had broken loose and were making intermittent contact. After I resoldered all the connector pins it worked great until we got back from Christmas with the family this past December. We came home to an ice tray full of warm water and some thawed food.

This time when I pulled the main board I found a large black stain on the back under the main compressor relay which had apparently expelled all its magic smoke. I priced control boards and decided that over $100 was more than an 8 year old fridge was worth and we ended up spending nearly $1200 on a new Kenmore model 7160 (795.7160.012) with a bottom freezer and french doors on the fridge. This has been very nice the past few months but I'm thinking about fixing up the old fridge and selling or donating it since it seems to be in good shape aside from the burned out main board.

Being cheap the first thing I tried was swapping the obviously toasted relay with a similar sized one I scavenged from an old UPS that turned out to be less uninterruptable than advertised. With the board reconnected the compressor came on but the evaporator fan never seemed to run. I gather that it only runs enough to keep the refrigerator compartment cool while the compressor runs enough to keep the freezer cool. Since the fridge is in the unheated garage it seems likely that even with both controls set to 9 the evap fan would just never kick in. Unfortunately when I last had a chance to look at the fridge even the compressor isn't kicking on now so I suspect that there are more problems than a bad relay. Generally relays won't self destruct the way this one did without some additional voltage on the 12 volt coil from somewhere upstream.

I've done some extensive web searching and have found several control boards listed for this GE fridge. Apparently some of GE's original boards from this era were so bad that GE offered free repairs for some models. So it may very well be that I shouldn't get a board that looks identical to the one I have.

The WR55X10086 looks identical to the board I have but as I said it may be a defective design.
The WR55X10942 pops up on repairclinic.com if I search for GTS22WCMBRWW

My question is would either work or should I pick the one that looks like what I'm replacing.

Max L.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

the WR55X10942 will look differnt than the one u took off but its the new one that also works for the side by side refs there will be some extra connections on there but you will know where yours go

#3 luptonma

luptonma

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chimay

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Just to follow up, the recommended board worked like a charm and the fridge is running fine now. I have to sell it on Craigslist now though because my wife won't let me keep it in the garage full of beer :-(. If anyone is interested check the Northern VA listings.

Max

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics