Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Dryer squeaking, rumbling, burning rubber smell LDG7304aae

squeaking rumbling burning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobNJ

BobNJ

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homemade Imperial Russian Stout

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

I have a Maytag LDG7304aae, about 12 to 14 years old. It developed a low rumbling, especially on start up. Not really loud. Then a couple of weeks ago, it started squeaking/squealing which would vary in volume, again, it seemed to be at its worst on startup. Finally, two days ago, my wife unloaded a load and said she smelled burning rubber. We have not done a load since then.

I have taken it apart. The belt is a bit cracked. The rear rollers are worn-looking but do not squeak. I do not know what worn-out rollers look like so I don't know how much life is in them. One glide pad is worn down to the underlayer at the inside edge. The blower can be moved back and forth about 20 to 30 degrees when I hold the shaft still. I took it off and the D-shaped hole is not so "D" looking anymore. I will replace it if I am going to repair this. After vacuuming out a lot of lint, even from behind a very tight-fitting washer on the motor shaft, the shaft still squeaks at one particular spot on the rotation when I turn it.

The way I see it is 1) the rumbling sound is the blower. Easily fixed. 2) the squeaking sound is the motor shaft. Can I squirt some WD-40 or some oil I have left over from a circulator pump. Can I ignore it for awhile. (I'm probably in the market for a new dryer in a year when a remodeling project will yield a new upstairs laundry room. Then the old one goes in the garage.) 3) The burning rubber smell is ?? - the belt? Motor? (RepairClinic does not seem to have the motor in stock. Can I adapt my lawnmower engine?)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Glides,belt and rear drum rollers are in order.
The blower wheel definitely in order.
This dryer repaired is better than most new dryers.
May as well replace the tension roller while you are at it.

Go shopping here.
http://www.repaircli...-ID-91677-Parts

Edited by jumptrout, 07 February 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#3 BobNJ

BobNJ

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homemade Imperial Russian Stout

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "in order". Are you recommending I replace the glides, belt, and rollers? I was thinking of skipping the rollers but came around to thinking that I might as well get the dryer working as well as possible for a few dollars more. Ditto with the tension roller.

My main concern is what is causing the burning smell and if the squeaking on the motor shaft means the motor needs to be replaced now or can last several more years.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

"in order" means you should place them "on order" so you can git yo dryer fixed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics