Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Gallery Series GLTF2940FS1 Front Load Washer won't operate

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have a Frigidaire front load washer, model # GLTF2940FS1. I had it washing a load of laundry, it washed fine, but when it signaled that the cycle was finished, the clothes were soaking wet. I tried running it on the drain/spin cycle, but it wouldn't spin (or drain). When I try to run it on a regular wash cycle, it won't do anything now. I push the start button, I hear a hum, then a click, then the machine shuts off.
The error code it gives me is E23.
By reading other similar post on this forum, I decided to check the pump filter for any clogs/debris. That turned out nothing, it had nothing but water in it. Checked the drain hose and it was clear. I have also ran the diagnostic test as detailed in the tech data sheet. Water flows into the machine, door will lock, and then unlock, When it gets to where (during the test) the machine should fill and tumble, then fill and spin, it does not do this, it also will not drain the water during the test.
We are trying to fix this ourselves, but aren't quite sure where exactly to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

E23 Drain pump relay on control board failed. Replace control board.
You could verify by checking for 120v AC at the Drain Pump
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1472564

Central-Control-Unit--137006000-01081318

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Ok, placed an order for the control unit. should receive it in 2 days and I will updated the results.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

You could try powering up the pump with a cheater cord and see if it drains
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Sorry, guess I'm a little illiterate when it comes to this stuff. Could you further explain what you mean by powering it with a cheater cord?

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

Cheater Cord
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Alright, just finished replacing the control board, it still won't spin, it doesn't shut itself off, it just switches to no spin and sits there and counts down. One of the little plug things that goes into the back of the control board looked a little blackened, could that be the problem? Still getting error code E23.

#8 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

did u check the plastic object catcher in the black rubber hose coming from the tub there is a plastic tube in there if it fills up with crud it wont drain properly and hense no spin

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Ye Olde Craptrap Enema

#10 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

Yes, I think I said that in my original post, we checked the big black hose but there was nothing but water in it.

But what about that plug? Is that insignificant?

#11 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Ok, as per your suggestion, we removed the clamps and checked inside the black hose. Inside it we found a penny..... now, once we removed the clamp from what I assume to be the drain pump (?), which my husband said he did not do the first time, we found a couple more pennies and a straight metal wire jamming the propeller inside. I thought, bingo, this is our problem, so I tried starting it to see if it would drain and spin.............. still nothing. I hear the click, then it starts flashing "err", which it hadn't done before.
So, we opened it back up, hubby says that the propeller has a catch to it about every 3/4 turn. While in there we checked again for more items, but it seems to be clear of everything but water now. He's wondering about that catch that it has to it. Should it be doing that?

#12 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

If your referring to when you spin impeller with finger yes! That is the magnet of the motor its normal! Use a cheater cord and plug pump into an outlet and see if it's spinning!

If your referring to when you spin impeller with finger yes! That is the magnet of the motor its normal! Use a cheater cord and plug pump into an outlet and see if it's spinning!

#13 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

Ok then, where do I get a cheater cord. Noone we know has even heard of it before.

#14 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Crimp couple female spade connectors on couple pieces of wire or old cord from lamp or alarm clock or something! Just to confirm pumps operation

#15 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

ok here does the impeller turn easy with out any resistance if it does it shot the plastic impeller is broke off or breaking off its shaft u should have some kind of resistance on it when u turn it by ur finger

#16 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

He says it turns without resistance until it gets to the catch.

#17 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

gone get the pump start there even if u use a jump cord the impeller will move give u false hope the impleller is stripping off its shaft u still might have more problems i doubt it and im sure that wire that was in the pump did it probley a bra wire see them all the time get it from repariclinc and if thats not the problem u can return it

#18 scrappy03

scrappy03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

which wire on the pump is the ground and which is the hot, white and black?

#19 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

Doesn't matter

#20 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Sounds like the pump is hosed. Not uncommon to see that in these dinky pumps after when the gookus makes it past Ye Olde Craptrap and into the impeller ==> Drain Pump and Motor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics