Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG LFX25960SB Refrigerator making growling noise and ice maker sticking

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Steve C

Steve C

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Kona Vanilla Macadamia Nut

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

My LG LFX25960SB Refrigerator has two issues:

1. There are periodic, and sometimes lengthy, periods where there is a fairly loud growling noise. The noise will temporarily stop when either of the two refrigerator doors are opened, then begin again when closed. Opening the bottom freezer door will not stop the noise. I did run "TEST mode" and in TEST 1 & 2 (Compressor and Freezer Fan ON) there was that noise, while in TEST 3 (Compressor and Freezer Fan OFF) there was not. Also, in reading your FAQ's, my conclusion is that the freezer evaporator fan motor needs to be replaced. Do you have any other thoughts? If you suspect this also, what are the "don't let this happen to you" warnings? Should I replace the fan as well as the motor? What about any of the other components? I would like to have as many of the parts potentially needed on hand before taking the old one out.

2. The ice maker will not run automatically. The Function TEST did not seem to be operating. Basically, the Automatic Shut off Arm will not move on its own. If you manually push the arm down, the ice that has been made will slowly be ejected, the water will then run, ice will be made in about an hour, and the arm will be then in the up position, with the ice still in the molds. If you push the arm down again, that same sequence happens. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

1. There are periodic, and sometimes lengthy, periods where there is a fairly loud growling noise.

Do Test 1 then Test 3 and listen for if you hear the noise in both tests or just one (and which one).

2. The ice maker will not run automatically.

Test the icemaker by holding the FILL key for 3 seconds. The icemaker should run thru Harvest --> Fill --> Icemaking.

#3 Steve C

Steve C

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

1. Right now is one of the periodic periods where the growling noise is unnoticeable. However, two nights ago when the growling noise was fairly loud and at that time, the noise would cease when the refrigerator doors were opened, and would begin again when the refrigerator doors were closed. The noise continued when the freezer door was opened. I also ran Tests 1, 2 and 3 when the noise was loud and the noise would continue during Test 1 and 2, the noise would cease during Test 3. After a "hard" reset (unplugging and then plugging in the refrigerator), the noise was loud again.
2. Prior to running the test on the ice maker, the water level indicator light was at medium; the shut off arm was down, and there were ice cubes in the auger. When I began the test, the water level indicator light went to high, the motor did run and after several minutes did "harvest" the ice cubes. Then nothing happened...no fill! The water level indicator light remained on high. I then turned off the ice maker and turned it back on. The water level indicator light returned to the original medium position and it appears as though the control arm has moved slightly up but not all the way .Thirty minutes later there is still no fill. I turned off the ice maker, then on, and lightly pushed the control arm to the down position and ran the test again, this time with no ice cubes in the auger. The test ran through the complete "cycle" (Harvest - Fill - Ice making) with all of the correct light indicators during the test. I am confident that after the ice making cycle completes the ice will remain in the auger and not harvest just as it hadn't before I ran the test the first time this evening.

Hope that this helps!

#4 Steve C

Steve C

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

To confirm, after the ice maker "Test" last night and a successful Harvest - Fill - Ice Making cycle. The frozen ice is still in the auger (no Harvest) and the shut off arm is up and will above the level of ice that is in the ice bucket.

#5 Steve C

Steve C

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hello, are you there Grand Master? I have been waiting patiently, and sober, eight days for a response from you

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

1. Right now is one of the periodic periods where the growling noise is unnoticeable. However, two nights ago when the growling noise was fairly loud and at that time, the noise would cease when the refrigerator doors were opened, and would begin again when the refrigerator doors were closed. The noise continued when the freezer door was opened. I also ran Tests 1, 2 and 3 when the noise was loud and the noise would continue during Test 1 and 2, the noise would cease during Test 3. After a "hard" reset (unplugging and then plugging in the refrigerator), the noise was loud again.

The damper is controlled by a stepper motor which can make weird grinding noises. You can run the tests while looking at the damper while it's opening and closing an see if the noise is coming from it.

2. Prior to running the test on the ice maker, the water level indicator light was at medium; the shut off arm was down, and there were ice cubes in the auger. When I began the test, the water level indicator light went to high, the motor did run and after several minutes did "harvest" the ice cubes. Then nothing happened...no fill! The water level indicator light remained on high. I then turned off the ice maker and turned it back on. The water level indicator light returned to the original medium position and it appears as though the control arm has moved slightly up but not all the way .Thirty minutes later there is still no fill. I turned off the ice maker, then on, and lightly pushed the control arm to the down position and ran the test again, this time with no ice cubes in the auger. The test ran through the complete "cycle" (Harvest - Fill - Ice making) with all of the correct light indicators during the test. I am confident that after the ice making cycle completes the ice will remain in the auger and not harvest just as it hadn't before I ran the test the first time this evening.

Do you mean ice cubes in the ice maker mold or in the augur screw in the ice bucket?

BTW, the manual for this refrigerator is in the Downloads section here ==> http://appliantology...service-manual/

#7 Steve C

Steve C

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

Thanks for the tips and the SM!

I will run the test again and check the damper. That should be helpful info as the noise does continue when the freezer is open.

Sorry for the misuse of the word "auger", as the ice cubes were/are in the ice maker MOLD.

#8 clman

clman

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Amber

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Aside from the evaporator fan motor in the freezer there is a ice room fan motor assmy behind the evaporator panel as well. I will refer to it as "IF". It comes on when the thermistor in the ice room in the refrigerator door senses a temp rise and a call for ice production at the same time. The IF will be turned off when the refrigerator door is opened. It will not be turned off when the freezer door is opened. There is a known issue with the first IF's where it would gather frost in the inside of the blower housing from the defrost mode. There is also a later developement of the IF circuitry being damaged by moisture intrusion. I believe you have frost / ice in the IF assmy. The redesign of the IF housing has an enlarged section at the bottom for the moisture to collect and drip out. The evaporator panel will have to be changed as well if changing from the first design to the second and third. The third design simply seals the wiring better where it enters the IF housing. If you have the second design just defrost and remove the moisture from the entire assmy and seal the wiring entry point with silicone when reassembling. Make sure the assmy is completely dry. To make sure it's the IF turn the ice maker off by the rocker switch to see if the noise stops. Turning the IM off stops the call for ice production and thereby turns off the IF.
25 Years in the biz. 9 years LG authorized.

#9 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

I think Clman is correct as to where your noises are coming from. I'm not sure why you need to be moving that ice arm lever though when cycling. It should move into postion on its own. Maybe the ice maker is bad as well. Some input from others would be great though. I've only had one that wouldn't harvest the ice unless I moved the metal arm manually. I replaced the ice maker, and I don't think I got a recall on it.

#10 Steve C

Steve C

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

To both clman and BryanS ~

You guys are terrific and spot on! As for the noise, I took everything apart today and it was pretty easy with the help of the SM. There was a ton of ice in the IF assembly and I let everything melt. BTW in case in the future I need to replace that IF fan, housing, evaporator panel etc IS THAT IF FAN ON THE POSITION DIAGRAM NUMBER 420A and PART NUMBER 4681JB1029D? The reason I ask is that this motor was replaced under warranty about four years ago and that motor had a red sticker with both numbers 5209JA1044A and 4681JB1029E on it. There was also a ton of ice around the DEFROST-CONTROL ASSEMBLY. I used a blow dryer to melt that. Then I put everything together and now it is running quieter than ever!

I did purchase an EVAPORATOR MOTOR, BLADE, GROMMET, SEAL, and BRACKET from you guys at RepairClinic.com and the prices for all were great and around $ 53.00 including shipping! I did not install those but will keep them as spares in case I need them later.

I did have one small issue on the re-install as one of the two screws from the guide rails (Step 3 in Section 3-20 of the SM) is stripped but somewhat secure. I really would like to replace that screw. Do you have a part number for that?

As for the ice maker, I was able to find a brand new complete assembly 4681JA1006K on eBay for $ 76.00 including shipping and just replaced the Ice maker component AEQ36756901. It took all of ten minutes and most of that was fiddling with the wire harness which didn't have a lot of extra wire length to work with in that tight space. The ice maker is now working perfectly!

Thank you so much for your expert responses and please let me know about the IF Motor and guide rail screw part numbers.

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Fan/Duct all come as one part

http://www.repaircli...mber=LFX25960SB

Damper-Fan-Motor-Assembly-5209JA1044A-01

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

Unsure exactly which screws are which, but pick the one that matches:

Screw-1SZZJA3011B-01046410.jpg

Screw-4000W4A003A-01273043.jpg

Fastener-1SZZJA3011D-01046106.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#13 clman

clman

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Just to be clear LG refers to the evaporator panel as a duct assmy. The fan assmy is called just that, "fan assmy". The "dust assmy" evap panel has to be changed in the cases as I described above. LGs defrost controllers go bad a lot. If there is abmormal frost on the product and around the evap fan motor the controller needs to be changed. Unless they have something available here you'll have to get the screw from a hardware store.

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Part Links:

Defrost-Sensor-with-Fuse-6615JB2005H-006

Cover-AEB34270101-01049378.jpg

#15 Steve C

Steve C

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Sweet! Thank you so much!! I will continue to monitor noises and probable ice build up and proceed with the "re-build" when necessary. The screw BTW is the top one.

Edited by Steve C, 03 March 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#16 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

Good stuff. Yea, that connector for that that ice maker assembly can be a pain. I'm glad everything worked out :)

#17 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

Hey Clman. Speaking of that defrost controller. On some jobs where I have had a lot of ice up top and you see ice buildup just around the vent on the back wall. Our tech support says its from the evap fan coming on in a defrost or something to that effect. My question for you has just changing the controller assembly fixed this problem for you? Our tech support recommends changing the board and controller assembly. I just want to know if the board has been an issue for you because I hate to charge customers for that board if it isn't needed.

#18 clman

clman

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:50 AM

The defrost controller is telling the pcb to come out of defrost too soon. Thereby curculating steam around which gets sorta flash frozen and explodes into frost and eventually accumulates to the point of stopping the fan and other stuff. I NEVER have to change the board. However I do recall on the eariler models that the issue showed up on that the timing in m.pcb software the was changed to a longer delay after the thermistor said it was ok to go back to cooling. Still, and again, as I said just changing the defrost controller solves the problem.

#19 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Cool thanks. I just had one this week out of warranty and I had to quote them $435 for the repair. This fridge wasn't even two years. They were pissed, but thats the repair I knew. They declined the estimate. The lady decided she was just going to keep defrosting it lol. I guess if I get it back I will just change the controller :) Thanks again for the info. I've only been doing this a little over a year, so any bit helps.

#20 Steve C

Steve C

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well, it looks like getting rid of all of that ice DID NOT stop the noise from coming back.

I just ordered the following parts for the "re-build" from RepairClinic.com:

- Damper Fan Motor Assembly (pictured above)
- Guide Rail Screws (top one pictured above)
- Defrost Sensor with Fuse (pictured above)
- Cover (pictured above)

I also ordered a "Bracket, motor" # 4810JJ0003A (in case I need it for the Evaporator Fan Motor for the new Cover)

I might as well replace the Evaporator Fan Motor at the same time...it seems that the part number for this has changed so should I use # 4681JB1027C (already purchased from RepairClinic.com) OR # 4681JB1029E (just purchased from RepairClinic.com)?

PLEASE let me know if there is any other parts I might need for this "re-build" so I can order them today and have everything I MIGHT need shipped all together.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics