Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG washing machine WM2688HNM and the dreaded LE error code

error lg le

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mstgt91

mstgt91

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon (with an orange, of course)

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

Please help! My LG washing machine WM2688HNM is giving me an LE error code.

The machine will run up to the point where it tries to spin the load of laundry. When it tries to speed up the RPM of the tub, it makes an awful grating/scraping/ticking noise that picks up speed as the tub RPM's speed up. You can see a video at http://smg.photobuck...0202_213405.mp4. Although the tub turns both clockwise and counterclockwise at slower speeds, it won't ever turn at a high rate of speed. Instead it stops mid-cycle and gives the LE error code. It also seems to jiggle, where it previously would move more smoothly. (This is all true whether you tell the washer to spin only, rinse and spin, or run an actual load of laundry.)

The washer drains fine, fills fine, and otherwise appears to operate normally. When I reach in and turn the tub with my hand, it rotates normally (easily) and does not make the grating noise.

I have replaced the hall sensor and the stator and the symptoms are exactly the same despite the new parts. I have visually inspected the wiring harness from the main board down to the stator and hall sensor, and although it does have a little bit of wear on it, the wires are still very much intact. There are no grease/rust spots on the bearings that are visible when the rotor is removed. The rotor is rust-free and has minimal wear.

I have followed the testing instructions found on this website to test the voltage from the main board to the hall sensor (the "how to test the hall sensor" page). Everything the page mentioned I tested, and all multimeter readings indicated everything was functioning properly. Is there a different way to test the main board? This is one part I haven't replaced yet. I hate to keep throwing parts at the machine (my wallet wants me to figure out what's wrong with it before I randomly replace anything else).

The machine is about five years plus a few months old (a few months outside warranty, of course). Until now, it has worked perfectly every time. We are sticklers for using the proper amount of detergent and definitely have used very small amounts, far below the quantity recommended by the detergent companies, so I don't think this is a case of over-sudsing. Throughout its life, the washer has been used the "normal" amount a 2-person family might use (not nearly as frequently as, say, a family of four would use a machine). That said, we have recently changed our laundry habits slightly, as we have been cloth diapering our son, born 3 months ago. So it has had 3 months worth of cloth diapers washed in it. Still, we've been using our normal low amount of detergent, and a load of diapers isn't much different in weight than washing a few pairs of blue jeans, so I'm not sure washing the diapers frequently would have necessarily caused our problem. Thoughts?

I really appreciate your help...my son's cloth diapers and the rest of our piles of laundry are getting out of control. I have to figure out how to fix this machine asap!

Melissa

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

<<<I have replaced the hall sensor>>>

Verify that the HALL SENSOR has been correctly snapped onto the STATOR (all three tabs securely locked).
With the ROTOR removed---inspect that all of the *magnets* are in good condition---no cracks or loose magnets that are out-of-position

<<<I have visually inspected the wiring harness from the main board down to the stator and hall sensor, and although it does have a little bit of wear on it, the wires are still very much intact.>>>

Remove the section of wire harness that runs from the HALL SENSOR to a plug connection at the rear of the washer.
This section of wire harness is short. In some cases---the wires appear to be "good" but internally the strands of wire are broken.
Use a test meter to verify *continuity* of each wire within the harness---have a helper move/bend the wire harness to identify whether or not the wires are intermittently losing connection internally.
If there's a fault---it's usually a broken wire where the harness has been attached to the base of the washer and held in place with a wire tie.
Either replace the wire harness or attempt to repair it where the break occurred by splicing it together.

Where were the new parts purchased?
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 mstgt91

mstgt91

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I've double-checked the hall sensor and the stator. The hall sensor is snapped in properly, and the stator appears to be in good working order - the magnets all appear to be in good condition. I haven't had a chance to check the wire continuity, and have to leave to go to work now, so I will check it later tonight and report back!

I bought the parts from Repairclinic:

Hall Sensor:  http://www.repaircli...umber=WM2688HNM

Stator: http://www.repaircli...umber=WM2688HNM

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated!

Melissa

#4 mstgt91

mstgt91

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

I tested the continuity of the short section of the wiring harness as you described, and lo and behold, there was a bad wire. So I spliced a new wire in its place...

...and...

...it is fixed!!!

I really appreciate your help with the repair!!! You have saved me so much money, I'm super grateful.

Incidentally, the washer sounds better than it ever has. It previously made a high-frequency metallic noise - it has ever since day one of ownership. I always just assumed the noise was normal, since the washer otherwise worked fine, and it has always sounded like that. But now the noise is gone and the washer operates quieter than ever. Shame on LG for making/using parts that are bad from the start. I hope they have resolved that problem with their newer washers.

Thanks again for the help!!!

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

<<<Shame on LG for making/using parts that are bad from the start. I hope they have resolved that problem with their newer washers.>>>

No defect in the wiring caused this...

The most logical answer---is that the wire loom was secured to the base of washer (by an assembly-line worker) too taut/tight.
When the tub gyrates during the spin cycle---instead of the normal give-and-take that *should* occur---the wires are being pulled many times until one of them is damaged.

Good job identifying & repairing the problem :)
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics