Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Gas Leak Detector

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hi All, Can anyone recommend a good Natural/Propane gas leak detector? Or is the liquid solution that bubbles the best? Thanks, Bob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

Soap bubbles for me.

#3 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

Big Blue

#4 Daveb1972

Daveb1972

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Boston Lager

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

I use
Bacharach Leakator Jr Combustible Gas Leak Detector

Posted Image
The only complaint about it is, when I use Leak Lock (which has acetone) it will pick up and alarm on it. Works on all combustable gasses, nat, LP, hydrogen, acetone, alcohol, etc....finds EVERY leak.
That which does not kill me only makes me stronger.....at this rate I'll be invincible by Tuesday!

#5 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Big blu is awesome!!!

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Big Blu is the true goo!

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

click on picture
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 Daveb1972

Daveb1972

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Blu is cool, the electronic is helpfull when the leak location if hard to identify, or when the customer insists there is a gas leak after you have sweap with the blu. Also of note, if you are looking for CO because of a CO alarm complaint, and cannot find the source, check for sump pump battery backup systems, or even golfcart chargers etc, any lead acid battery that is charging can release hydrogen sulfide (H2S), that can fool the average CO detector.
That which does not kill me only makes me stronger.....at this rate I'll be invincible by Tuesday!

#9 Daveb1972

Daveb1972

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Documented fact, Women smell the oderant in gas LONG before most men do, so If the Mrs. Complains, and her husband tells her there isnt a gas leak, keep looking! I once had the utility out to a house with me that had an intermittant gas smell, that I couldn't find, and the utility couldn't either. Customer got her own combustable leak detector and when it went off called again, the pipe that went through the sill plate had rotted almost completely away, and broke the second I put a wrench on it. 3 trips for gas smell, 3 different utility gas techs, and one VERY lucky customer!

#10 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

recently had a situation where the bubble leak detectors would not find a leak. I used UV leak detector, then Big blu.

had to buy a meter. it detected the leak right away. any meter that wil detect 50ppm or less should be sufficient.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#11 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

You thinned out the big blu and it still didn't produce bubbles? How weird.

#12 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Mt. Dew

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

http://www.gasleakse...t_gold_cgi.html

Got a barely used one with extra filter heads and case, all for under $100 on eBay. Found several leaks that were "intermittant" or not found by utility company. FYI: not too many people bid on the sensit lines on eBay. Though not many are listed either. If you are patient you can get good deals. They have descent refrigerant leak detectors as well.

FWIW, I am not a big blue fan. Too snotty when undiluted. Dawn dish soap is cheaper, gets same results, and can clean me or my mess up if there is a need.

#13 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Ditto that, I prefer the cheap dishsoap to Big Blue as well - another good one is those blow-bubbles childrens toy solution - it's nicely watered down and comes with that super handy little blowing ring in the cap that makes a great blotter.

Ya gotta hate it when any of them tip over and leak all over the shelf in your van though ! or freeze
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#14 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

Haha, kids bubble solution. Never thought of that. Seems a little too obvious to use something perfected for making tons of huge bubbles... And hey, if u get bored... Bubbles. Just hang the wand out the van window and all the neighborhood kids will follow you around like you r the ice cream man.

#15 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

If John Pasterello was dead, he'd be rolling over in his grave right now. Big blu can detect micro leaks of .65oz/year. Big blu is not soap its a blend of surfactants and yada yada yada. Its been drilled into my head so long it takes all my willpower to not regurgitate it all. Kids bubbles are a hell of a lot cheaper.

Edited by RussTech, 25 February 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#16 Daveb1972

Daveb1972

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

There is also a product called "Snoop" by Swage-Loc, we use it at the research center. Get a bottle of this stuff, and it'll find even the smallest of hydrogen leaks. Then refill the bottle with kids bubble stuff. At least the bottle wont tell your using kids toy liquid to save your customers.... :thumbsup:

#17 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

I bet if u stuck gum on it you could detect even smaller leaks. Maybe it could take a month or 2 to get a good bubble going. Then someone can invent $50 bubbalicious :)

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics