Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

General Electric microwave model number JVM1851WH06 shuts down completely down at times.

Microwave

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kittyclem

Kittyclem

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Our microwave has started turning completely off--clock and all. There is nothing that can be done until it resets itself which can take a half hour or so. At that time I need to reset the clock and its good to go.

This seems to happen when the interior gets really hot as in cooking bacon. It does not happen when doing a quick defrost or reheat of already cooked food. Is there a thermostat or cooling fan that could be the cause? Getting ready to put the house on the market and don't want to replace it if we can avoid it. HELP!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Bacon and popcorn are magnetron stressers, not enough mass to absorb the microwave energy. These small loads will shorten the life of the magnetron over time.

That being said, I would check for the proper operation of the cooling fan located behind the control panel. On some models, the fan blade has been known to slip on the motor shaft, allowing the magnetron to overheat.

Edited by Chat_in_RI, 12 February 2012 - 09:24 PM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#3 Kittyclem

Kittyclem

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

OK, so how do I find the magnetron and test it? Also, how do I get into the control panel?? Think I read somewhere that there are recessed screws that allow the removal of the grate assembly above the door, is this the clue? Sorry to be so microwave illiterate.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

:woot:
be careful,
High voltage stored inside Microwave Capacitor,
even with the Microwave OFF and un-plugged from the Wall Outlet.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Kittyclem

Kittyclem

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Will warn my husband to be careful if he decides to tackle this...40 years as a master electrician; so hopefully he'll be OK. Do need to know where it is and how to get to it though. Thanks for the warning.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

High-Voltage Capacitor # 75
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Kittyclem

Kittyclem

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

OK, we found the motor shaft and blade. Actually the blade wasn't even on the shaft -- it was loose inside. The shaft will go partway into the blade, but seems to be too big to snap into place. The blade, therefore will come right off again. Any suggestions out there?? Or are we missing something really obvious?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics