Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

2004 Whirlpool Duet Washer model # GHW9100LW1 making knocking noise on spin cycle

Whirlpool Duet washer knocking noise on spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hello, my 2004 Whirlpool Duet washer started making this knocking noise a short time ago. Everything else works perfectly. The noise is basically just an annoyance when the washer spins. I took the top off and the front panel off and watched it. Nothing is broken off or loose. One shock absorber on the back right side has a small dab of oil/fluid around it but other than that, it appears to be working well. When i spin the drum by hand counterclockwise, it makes the noise slightly, but when i spin it clockwise, it makes the noise a little louder. When the washer is running, it gets alot louder. The noise sounds like it is coming from inside, between the drum and the outer shell, but it does not sound like a clothing sound such as a zipper , button or money. It's more of a rubbing or bumping together sound which doesn't move around.This washer is 8 years old and i have friends who have gone thru 3 washers in that time and refuse to buy another front load design.I've had good luck and i just want to make sure it's not going to "FLY" apart and kill someone while spinning. Oh, and it is level, that was the first thing i checked.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Does inner drum move at all, if you were to grab it and move it up and down??? If so the spider is cracked or broke off back of drum!!!!

#3 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

The inner drum does not move separately from the outer drum. It spins but they both move together as one unit.

#4 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

I mean does the inner tub wobble at all?

#5 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

No......It does not wobble.

#6 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Guess i'm on my own. Thanks. I'll take it apart and fix it on my own. I just thought some professionals would have seen this before and have some knowledge of it.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

post YouTube video ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

For some reason, there is a problem with the communication between my camera and computer. I've never had a problem before but now when i make a video of this washing machine problem, I get the video with no sound. Good things come in threes...........what's next?

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

For some reason, there is a problem with the communication between my camera and computer.

You could make the video with your smart phone and upload it directly from there to Youtube.

#10 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Ok, I fixed my video and i uploaded it to utube somewhere, Here is the link. I hope this works.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Good video! Can you tell if the noise seems louder at the front of the drum or in back. If front, it could just be a loos counterweight-- seen this on the Bosch's before but all FLers are susceptible to this. If the rear, then that is most likely a broken drum support spider. Go around back, remove the rear panel, remove the belt from the drum pulley, grab hold of it and try to move it. If it's moves, tighten it up and see if the noise goes away.

#12 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

At first, the noise seemed to come from the left side. But after I took the top and front panel off, it was just even from all over, that's why i took the video from above and below. As you can see in the video, the outer drum moves hardly at all so i thought that might rule out a loose counterweight or magnet. Nothing feels loose around the drum. Is there anything in between the inner and outer drums? I haven't taken the back off yet because we do at least 4 loads a day.......everyday, have for the past 8 years. This is a busy machine. I'll pull it out and look at the back tomorrow.

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

It's either the rear drum bearing just starting to go out, (which your statement about feeling and hearing it when turning by hand leads me to believe this is your problem). Try the test of moving the inner spin basket relative to the out tub again, it may not be much at this point but if you can move the spin basket up and down from the front edge 1/16" - 1/8" then most likely it's the rear bearing failing.

The other thing I've seen cause a noise that sound very similair to what I'm hearing on your video is worn mounting foot on the bottom of the shocks, the plastic gets worn thin and so the clips don't hold the shock solid to the base and when it starts spinning and pulsing the shocks up/down the slight gap lets the base of the shock bounce up/down against the base plate. When it's making the noise, grab hold of each shock and hold it down against the base and see if the noise goes away or gets quiter for any of the shocks.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#14 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

while it is pulled out, look close at the pulley it self for a cracked arm...I watched the video twice....more sound from the front than the rear , but I would bet it is a bearing failing ( front bearing, first one to get wet ) ......The noise is amplified thru the opening, kinda like a megaphone, the bearings are in the rear plastic housing..............This unit used to be the unit I was recommending back then.......German made and at four loads a day, you are proving that it is a tough machine............... If you are inclined to fix it your self, price the parts and a new unit. I would go for the repair....BUT, the unit will need to be 'down' for a few days..... Let's see, reverse the t- shirts inside out, should last a few days, under ware inside out will last one day :yucky: ........

#15 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

OK, I'm learning about washing machines and that sometimes you need to check things more than once and in two different ways. I grasped the outer drum differently and the inner drum "DOES" move up and down. I took the belt off on the back. The large pulley is not cracked or broken but in DOES have "play" in it even though the nut is tight. When i hold the back of the outer drum and wiggle the pulley......i get the exact knocking noise when the machine is running. Bearings, that is what my first thought was after listening to my co-workers complain about their front load washers and the bearings failing within the first year. Front Bearings were mentioned in the previous post, are there more than one set of bearings to the drum? and what parts do i need or where do i look them up? I'm prepared for a shock because my co-workers opted for a new machine as opposed to repairs, But we're talking SEARS. I'm sure they are more expensive.

#16 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

I looked up some parts on "repairclinic.com". it seems that the bearing do not come separately and only come with the rear drum assembly. Is this true or can i buy just the bearings?

#17 LifeofLaundry

LifeofLaundry

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

CUDOS to the Samuri Repair Man!!!!!!!! You got it right on the button! The pulley had play in it and the nut felt tight. It was not. (Always check things twice) Before i put everything back together, i decided to take the nut off and check the shaft and the slot on the pulley for wear. there was none so i tightened everything up tight. You said to tighten the nut and the noise is gone! I SHOULD have been drinking BEER when i was troubleshooting. NEVER do this stuff SOBER!!!Thank-you !!!! Here's what my washer sounds like now.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,145 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like a purring kitteh!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics