Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool EE3J40RD045V Electric Water Heater is making loud clicking noises.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djgiesbrecht

djgiesbrecht

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Sounds electrical, like a relay. I haven't pulled any covers, and we are getting hot water. No other symptoms. I just recently noticed this and am trying to determine if it is normal, or should I dig into it?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

The water heater will cycle on and off periodically to keep the water at the set temperature.
If it stays on constantly,the water will get too hot and the overload thermostat should trip.
You may have a downstream leak causing it to heat more often.
If you are on a municipal water supply with a meter,you can turn off all water sources and watch the meter.
If it is turning,you have a leak.
Otherwise,you are probably fine.

#3 djgiesbrecht

djgiesbrecht

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

My concern isn't that it is cycling. It's that it is doing so very noisily. I would have thought that it would have a solid-state relay, rather than electro-mechanical. I guess I will have to open it up and watch it cycle.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

from the
Installation Instructions and Use & Care Guide
The Electronic Thermostat consists of an electronics box that contains a low voltage power supply,
the thermostat set point knob,relays to switch between the upper and lower heating elements,
one control thermistor, a connector for the lower element control thermistor, microelectronics
to convert the thermistor signals and perform switching and other logic functions, and a connector to tie the
Electronic Thermostat (ET) to the Energy Smart® Module (ESM) located on the front of the water heater jacket.
The majority of the self-diagnostics are located in the Electronic Thermostat (ET), including the dry-fi re protection intelligence.
The thermostat circuit is designed so that when the upper heating element calls for heat, the power is directed
to that element even if the lower element is also calling for heat.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 djgiesbrecht

djgiesbrecht

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have an older model than the one shone, without digital readouts. Mine was purchased in 2005. I found the manual for it. (BTW, should I upload my manual to the forum?) The symptoms are settling down. Now I have no hot water at all and the blinking error light tells me that it hit the high limit. After cutting the power, I discovered that one of the 4 control relays, (controls the lower element) is permanently closed, thus the lower element gets continuous power and eventually trips the safety relays. I will be calling Whirlpool in the morning for a board replacement under warranty. Wish me luck.

#6 djgiesbrecht

djgiesbrecht

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

I uploaded the manual for this Whirlpool EE3J40RD045V Electric Water Heater, circa 2005

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,870 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

I uploaded the manual for this Whirlpool EE3J40RD045V Electric Water Heater, circa 2005

Domo! :thumbsup:

#8 djgiesbrecht

djgiesbrecht

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Final report - I called the Whirlpool warranty number and talked to a very nice service person. She asked me a couple questions about symptoms and ohm readings for the two sensors (~40K each) and two elements (14 ohms each). Since these are correct, she concluded that my board was faulty. As I had a twelve year warranty on both the tank and other components, she shipped a new board to me FedEx overnight, no charge. I installed it, applied power, and everything works.
Thank you, Whirlpool. You have done everything exactly right to make it right.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

... Whirlpool warranty number and talked to a very nice service person.
... shipped a new board to me FedEx overnight, no charge. I installed it, applied power, and everything works.
... Thank you, Whirlpool. You have done everything exactly right to make it right.

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics