Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung rfg297aars french door fridge - Freezer not cooling properly

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

samsung rfg297aars french door fridge, about 2 years old.

I have an ongoing problem with my french door fridge, the fridge section is always fine, never any problems, but about 4 months ago I noticed soft ice cream in the freezer. Ice was still being made and everything else seemed frozen so I put a thermometer in there to see what's going on. Temp would go between about 0 and 20 degrees, never saw it higher or lower. I have an extended warranty on this, so I called them in October and the factory service guy has been out about 5 times since then.

He has:
-replaced sensors in the freezer, the fridge, the icemaker
-replaced CPU twice
-replaced freezer evaporator cover and fans

and the behavior is exactly the same, the fridge is fine (38 degrees) and the freezer is about 16 degrees most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

We'd want to monitor compressor current draw at the same time we're monitoring freezer temperatures to determine if we're having a compressor run-time problem, or possibly a problem with moisture and ice plugs in the sealed system. There are (expensive) instruments available to do this or you can do it the old skool way: manually take current draw readings at predetermined intervals. The closer the intervals are together, the better the data resolution when it is plotted on a graph showing both current draw and temperature vs. time. You can do the current measurements with a Kill-a-watt meter ==> http://www.repaircli...r/P4400/1012487

#3 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Excellent, I have a kill-a-watt, I'll start taking readings.

thanks

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

may need to see the frost pattern of the Evaporator Coils in the Freezer

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

I haven't seen the freezer evap coil personally, but I heard the repair tech tell the samsung support person on the phone that the frost pattern looked ok.

Also, I have a new update, the tech was out again yesterday and he installed a UV dye dryer and recharged the sealed system. I think they have run out of ideas and are looking for a leak. However now the freezer portion is totally broken, it's 65 degrees in the freezer section, but the fridge section is still a nice 38 degrees. so I've called them out again for tomorrow, but I have little hope they can fix it. The tech essentially told me he hasn't a clue.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

why would he re-charge it and assume a leak, if the frost pattern looked good ?
Now it may be over-charged ...
May need to see the frost pattern for yourself.

#7 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

I pulled the freezer evap cover off and there is zero frost on it. it's not even cold to the touch anywhere.

He called samsung tech support while he was here and they told him to put the UV dye dryer in, he didn't think it was a leak but didn't have any better ideas, so he did what they told him to do.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

I pulled the freezer evap cover off and there is zero frost on it. it's not even cold to the touch anywhere.

has the Compressor been runing for at least an hour ?
(or just came out of defrost) ?

#9 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

yeah, it's been running for a few hours. the fridge is still perfect (38 degrees) , freezer temp is 64

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

.. October and the factory service guy has been out about 5 times since then.

Samsung service (extended warranty) ?
Seems like it's time to have them (or place of purchase) exchange the whole Fridge

#11 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

extended warranty not through samsung, but they have sent out a major service company that is samsung approved (or whatever).

and actually, it's more like 12 visits, each time he would come out, order a part, then come back to install it. I didn't bother me much since the freezer was around 16 degrees, I just couldn't keep ice cream.

until now, after the dye dryer install the freezer is totally busted.

the tech indicated that if he came back and didn't see any leaks with the UV dye that he would say it was an internal leak, which would get me a new fridge in theory.

But does that make sense? the fridge section has always been fine, it was just the freezer. This fridge has two evaporators and a 3 way valve. I thought maybe it was the three way valve, but the tech said it wasn't.

thanks for your help

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

... and actually, it's more like 12 visits, ... he would say it was an internal leak, which would get me a new fridge in theory.
... But does that make sense?

1) :)
2) don't ask :whistling:

#13 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

You're probably right, I just don't know how long it will take them to get me a new one, now that's it's really busted it kinda sucks not having a freezer. The fridge still keeps the beer cold though :)

thanks again.

#14 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

An update in case this happens to anybody else.... The tech from the major repair chain condemned my fridge, which triggered a visit by a tech from samsung (before they will give me a new one). He says it's the 3 way step valve in the sealed system and the other tech was wrong. Ordered the part and will be back in a week.... so the saga continues.

#15 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

Lol. I was just about to suggest the valve until I got down to the last post. If the sealed system had a leak the fridge side would have not cooled properly either, I have yet to need to change one fo those valves, but I only know of one other case from another tech who did need to change one. I hope that it takes care of the problem. Keep us informed :)

#16 bbspieler

bbspieler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

A final update in the saga, the tech came out and replaced the 3 way valve, and I don't know what happened in the process, but all cooling ceased after he installed it. no freezer no fridge. It would seem there is a total blockage somewhere now.

So he submitted as un-repairable and samsung has refunded my purchase. Took a long time, but it's over.

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Wow! Finally a good resolution but only after them dragging your big cheeks over shards of broken glass. Thanks for posting the final outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics