Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Bravo washer MVWX600XW0 makes clacking noise but won't run

Not Spinning Not Agitating

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 James Hallock

James Hallock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

I have a Bravo's mvwx600xw0. What this washer does, I put clothes in washer close lid, push start. Washer will go to "sensing" then I will hear is click, clack of the door lock no Locked.. Then I hear what sounds like BUZZ, GRRR GRRR from the washer. Then a few seconds later, I hear clip clack of the door lock, now unlocked. Then click clack of the lock no locked. Then I hear BUZZ, GRRR GRRR from the washer. A few minutes pass..........Then I hear Click clack door lock unlocked Then Water fills....... then... a long long while, I hear the growling of the pump as it pumps the water out... (door may have locked) but didnt hear it. Well.. Then I hear BUZZ, GRRR GRRR from the washer, does what it should do then fills, now is saying Rinse, soap is gone and then when I get back its seem to go thought all the process it needs to go soap, cream rinse.

Appartnetly the washer thinks, its doe what it was programmed to do.. Goes throught all.. NO CODES! Clothes are still dirty and soping wet. Now, I started the washer with it tipped back, there is a motor and belt. During this Buzz, GRRR GRRR the motor moves the belt and the washer pully forward then back then forward and back.. and thats it done. I did not wait for it to go to wash cycle to start. I knew something was not right with it. I do not get any codes. I have tried to hold the button down for 3 and 4 seconds releasing it for 3 and 4 seconds what I seen on youtube.com to get into the washers memory codes, but I cant seem to get in there using that processes.

Underneath on soundpadding, there is dusting from the belts, and the plastic cover seems to have melted spots, I can post pictures and a video soon. Once I have more time to get down there and work on it.

I have tried to look for a teardown, but I find only ones with direct drive.

Do you have a idea what it might be? Motor bad? or Transmission (gearbox) bad? a switch? little lost.. Next I guess I will try disasemble to see what looks bad worped or something.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

post video to help me better understand :argue:
ill help figure it out :rocker:

#3 James Hallock

James Hallock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

I am putting something on youtube.com should be on there. The clicking you hear is the door lock.. at apx. 37 seconds you hear the motor start to go. should be done soon. My internet is very slow..

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

When your tub fills...is the tub floating?
Also,
The magnetic reed switch in the lock mechanism could be bad.
Set the nachine for SPIN and see if it will spin.

#5 James Hallock

James Hallock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

No spin.. Not floating eather. I checked the codes and no codes. It just wiggles back and forth not much more than 1/4". I have called some service people, and around here the closest repair is 30 miles and about prices was 150 to come out and diagnose it, plus parts and repairs if I choose to fix it. They dont add cost for diagnostic to the repair price. I was told if it is the motor its $350 to change with part and gearbox is $500 or so. I just cannot see it costing that much, $650 to diagnose and fix?

For that price, a new one but I am not going to buy a new one. Take this apart piece by piece and see what looks wrong. Othere than no moving, it does what its programmed to do.. If a put a very small load water fills just above if I put a large load water fills just above.

With what things are made of now, Metal on plasic.... should not be too hard to find what is broke. How hard can this be? I have taken a car motor apart and put it back together and I have taken computers and laptops apart and put them back. Seems pretty much pieces and parts..

I do know it is not the locking mec. on the door.

#6 James Hallock

James Hallock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

I have had a neibor of mine had paid $200 to change a belt. She said he charged her 130 to come out diagnose and 50 to change the part and 50 for the belt. She said whole thing took him 15 minutes, went down said belt is bad changed belt and $200 gone.. Three months later, same problem next tech said they guy did not tighen the belt nut.. He charged her 50$. for everything. 9 years later still has same washer.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Tips for freeing a stuck tub in these washers ==> http://fixitnow.com/...-ol-error-code/

#8 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Tips for freeing a stuck tub in these washers ==> http://fixitnow.com/...-ol-error-code/

The Bravos model MVWX600XW0 of topic is not that kind of Bravos. It's a VMW mechanism, the basket does not float and requires a spanner wrench to remove.

#9 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

pull out the tech sheet in the front and check for error codes its either the lid switch or actuator, 2 screws off of rear hindges and plate whole front slides forward to acces tech sheet

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,160 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

The Bravos model MVWX600XW0 of topic is not that kind of Bravos. It's a VMW mechanism, the basket does not float and requires a spanner wrench to remove.

Domo, Dado-- I didn't pull the diagrams on this one before I posted.

James, I have several posts on this washer in my blog that you'll want to peruse:

Whirlpool Vertical Modular Washer (VMW), United Servicers Regional Training in Albany, NY (especially the comments on this post)

How to enter diagnostic mode, decipher error codes & check the control board in a Whirlpool Vertical-Modular washer (VMW)

How to replace the lid switch in a Whirlpool VMW washer

#11 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Remove the plastic cover that goes over the belt and pullys and i bet you will find the nut that holds the big pully on is loose or off completly, i have seen this quite a few times.

#12 James Hallock

James Hallock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have taken the thing apart. Saying my hand was a motor.... Everything moves freely.. and when I change the agitator it changes the washer and that moves freely. I have taken the motor off, it tested fine. The capasitor tested out shorted. I ordered a capasitor and will see what happens.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,160 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

What's the update on this one, James?

#14 mondo760

mondo760

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Stella Artois

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

I went out today check out a maytag centenial doing the same exact thing. It was the first one i came across so i didnt know where to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics