Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool LA880XTWP top load washer agitator floppy

agitator softener dispenser

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Table

Table

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

In theory, I purchased a used whirlpool topload washer for $200; however, it doesn't really work. The biggest problem, which I'm asking about only for purposes of returning it, goes like this: the washer pretends to agitate, but doesn't really do that. The model number is LA8800XTWO. Online, it looks like the lid of the agitator just pops off. On the one I have (in other words, not looking at pictures online), there is an additional piece, to which the top is apparently glued, that says "Liquid Fabric Softener Dispenser, "part no 389142 BL GR". This part doesn't appear in the visuals I've been able to find. Does this part go with this washer?

I found a site that says the agitator should not spin in both directions and if it does, the "dogs" are bad. Okay, here's the weird part I don't understand: If you stand facing the washer, you can spin the TOP of the agitator freely clockwise -- it just spins and spins and spins. The bad news is the bottom part of the agitator -- the part that you would have to remove a nut to get off -- doesn't move at all - so there is no real agitation, if you get my drift.

On the other hand, you CAN move the top part of the agitator counterclockwise as well and, yes, both the top and bottom part of the agitator will move if you move the top of the agitator counterclockwise.

I just ran it again and, yes, if I put my hand through the wash, the bottom part of the agitator is moving, but the clothes themselves are not moving at all. To me, it looks like the top part of the agitator is just way to wobbly to have any leverage to make the clothes themselves agitate.

Like I said, the washer has a bunch of other problems and is definitely going back -- but my question is - does that part 389142 belong to this washer? Is that what's making it not really agitate?

Thanks,
Table (???)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

LA8800XTW0 c.1988
Have you inspected the Dogs ?
http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=2744

Agitator-Repair-Kit-285811-00841524.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

TABLE.from your description the only problem is bad dogs as questioned by RegUS__PatOff.
All the other movements(or lack of) are normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics