Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
MKeating42

GE Triton XL dishwasher GSD6600G00BB will not drain (again)

16 posts in this topic

Nihon de naganen ni watatte adobaisu shite itadaki arigatogozaimasu, Fixit-San. (Thank your for your advice over the years, Samurai Appliance Repair Man.)

Once again I turn you, this time to advise me how best to persuade a recalcitrant dishwasher to drain.

I have a GE Triton XL (GSD660G00BB) that won't pump out. I checked a few of the other posts and think I have the problem identified, but I'd like the opinion of the experts here before I order parts.

My dishwasher is slightly different from the one shown in http://fixitnow.com/wp/2006/07/04/ge-dishwasher-drainology/. The drain pump (http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/WD26X10016/948053?modelNumber=GSD6600G00BB) is attached to the left of the circulation pump and I think this is the problem. I took all the parts underneath apart and cleaned out the gookus. One of the flapper valves was stuck but that didn't solve the problem. I performed the continuity test (OK) and current (fail) on the drain pump, so I think this is the problem, yes?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... I performed the continuity test (OK) and current (fail) on the drain pump, so I think this is the problem, yes?

... ? ? details ?

A voltage reading when the pump should be running would also be helpful...

A voltage reading when the pump should be running would also be helpful...

first time I've ever done a voltage reading. on one lead, voltage read 120. on the other, 0.

... ? ? details ?

Runs but does not drain. The full wash cycle completes, but the basin remains full of dirty water. Near as I can tell no water gets pumped out.

first time I've ever done a voltage reading. on one lead, voltage read 120. on the other, 0.

what's the voltage reading across the Pump wires ... ? ?

Is the Pump running ?

Is the Pump pumping ?

Drain Hoses clogged ?

Has this Dishwasher worked OK up till now at this location ?

Installed new Garbage Disposer ?

what's the voltage reading across the Pump wires ... ? ?

How do I measure that? I don't have a clamp-on meter, just a cheap multimeter.

Is the Pump running ?

Is the Pump pumping ?

Drain Hoses clogged ?

Has this Dishwasher worked OK up till now at this location ?

Installed new Garbage Disposer ?

Not running - no sound, nothing.

The hoses (and all the components) were pulled apart & cleaned.

The dishwasher had been running for several years just fine.

No disposal.

voltmeter ...

one probe into each of the Pump wires

voltmeter ...

one probe into each of the Pump wires

but not attached to the pump itself? so i'm testing the connection not the pump?

unless otherwise instructed, all voltages should be measured with the devices connected

unless otherwise instructed, all voltages should be measured with the devices connected

Aha. I misunderstood SARM's post on basic electrical measurements.

With leads connected, in service mode, the meter reads 110v. I can also hear a very faint humming. Otherwise, nothing.

... Aha. I misunderstood SARM's post on basic electrical measurements.

... With leads connected, in service mode, the meter reads 110v. I can also hear a very faint humming. Otherwise, nothing.

1) when reading resistance measurements, one lead can be disconnected ...

2) if the Pump isn't running... it may be jammed or bad

2) if the Pump isn't running... it may be jammed or bad

So if I pull the pump, check for gookus and other stuff that may be binding it up, and can hand-turn it... and it still won't engage... bad pump?

...if I pull the pump, check for gookus and other stuff that may be binding it up, and can hand-turn it, and it still won't engage, bad pump?

:whistling:

sounds good

So I pulled the pump off and flushed it out. Some gookus, but not enough that it would have bound up the impeller. I tried to turn the impeller with a screwdriver but couldn't get enough leverage to move it. It looked like the only thing holding the hose inlet/outlet assembly to the motor/impeller were three screws, so I backed them out and the pump came apart just as expected.

Once I had it apart, I could turn the impeller pretty easily, but I noticed a very different kind of gookus caught up around the base of it. The very rare gookus elasticus, in fact. Turns out, the pump was jammed because someone put a rubber band down the drain, and it got wound around the impeller assembly:

drainpump.jpg

Untangled it, put the pump back together, reattached the leads, put it into service mode and voila!

Thanks again for all the help. Some genuine Cleveland microbrew headed your way, as soon as I figure out Venmo.