Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WLW1500B not spinning <-- old washer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 setha8

setha8

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

I know that this washer is probably due for the scrap heap, but if I can repair it that is preferable so I can buy a new washer when it is more convenient.

Symptoms: Washer was emitting an acrid cloud of rubbery smelling smoke, tub not spinning on the spin cycle. I thought it was the belt, but I'm not sure. After draining it and taking the back panel off, I can observe it better. The motor definitely turns the belt, the tub rotates slowly then hits a "stop" and won't turn further while the belt stays stationary and starts smelling.

With the machine off, I can manually turn the tub about 360 degrees either way before it hits a stop of some sort and won't turn further. I mention this because when I test it on the spin cycle, it is still unable to turn past this point. It slowly starts turning until it hits that stopping point and then remains stationary.

Is my transmission shot? I noticed many parts like this and the motor are no longer manufactured, which would effectively mean I need a new washer and that it isn't worth the time and frustration trying to fix it part by part if it is the transmission. I was going to try a new belt, because the current one definitely needs replacing--there is a bite in it from where the motor has turned against it while it didn't move (creating the rubbery smoke cloud). But after watching the washer on the spin cycle, I think the ruined belt is a symptom, not a cause of the washer not spinning.

If it helps, I can attach pictures. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 setha8

setha8

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

There is another factor. It appears there is a black greasy substance that has been leaking for some time. Pretty much the area below the entire washer. The washer had a small water leak so I thought it was a black mold until I started cleaning it up, which is why I didn't mention it earlier. On closer look there is also a line of the same black grease across the inside backing of the washer. The source of the grease is hard to tell based on the pattern of splash, because it appears to mirror the path of the belt between motor and transmission. I'm guessing it is from the transmission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics