Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 106.54609300 refrigerator side by side warm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jaskaital

jaskaital

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:sams

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I have the same problem that i have read on the forms for a clicking and humming start relay. I can hear a rattle when it was removed. I order a new relay on it is no help. I then checked the compressor with a ohmmeter. It reads on the three pins 9.3, 6.6 and 3.5 ohms between combination of pins. Also it has no shorts from case to each pin. I reorderd a new relay and also added the capacitor. I hoping the relay is bad from stock. It has a very light rattle. My question is can the relay be ohmed out when it is off the compressor. I think I read somewhere it should be close to a ohm or two. Any thoughts if my new relay is still no help what to check next.
Thanks for your help

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

what Start Relay part number did you buy ?
You could also build a "cheater cord" to test the Compressor ...
and a Clamp Ammeter would be helpful

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

I hoping the relay is bad from stock. .

It is more likely that you have a bad compressor that has failed mechanically

#4 jaskaital

jaskaital

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thank you for the replies. I ordered a 21361500 relay and recived a 513605024 which looks compatable. Tried a new relay and capacator still no good.
Fan works and relay clicks but compressor never starts. Frig is 9 years old and warranty on compressor is 5 years from what I've read. Looks like I need a new compressor or frig. Not sure which is better. Strange thing about read about shaking the start relay, The two I purchased and the orignal all have a rattle sound when shaking. Post say it should not. Any chance they are all bad

#5 clman

clman

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Amber

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

It's common for a compressor relay to rattle. Some more than others.

Assuming you have proper votage to the relay and through the overload: Sounds like the compressor is locked up. An amp draw test duruing start will tell you if it's actually trying to start or not. By the way it's probably not the relay clicking but rather the overload tripping. If the compressor is locked up it will draw high amperage through the overload protector and trip it. When trying to start It will humm and probably draw the lights down inside the unit and any on the same circuit the unit is plugged into then click and everything will go back to normal brightness and no more humm. A hard start kit with a direct voltage source connected to the compressor as a test will let you make sure there is no outside fault. If the compressor starts - it can run. If not - it's bad.
25 Years in the biz. 9 years LG authorized.

#6 jaskaital

jaskaital

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. I see the lights draw down a little on the first click and then back to normal on the second click. I hear no humming. When this first start there was some humming and after that I only heard clicking. I will try to jump the compressor using the chart on the site with the capacator set up.
Thanks again I will let you know how it came out

#7 jaskaital

jaskaital

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Tried the jumping and no joy. Hope I'm doing it correctly. Compressor starts to get warm but does not sound like it turns on.
Thanks everyone

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

:boohoo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics