Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Rachel Burk

Whirlpool Washer LSQ8243HQ0 won't spin, makes terrible noise

15 posts in this topic

I would include the model number but must wait for somebody to help me move the thing because it's on the back. I can see with a flashlight that this is a direct drive washer. It sounded fine until it hit high spin...it made a loud squealing noise and now if you put it on high spin (since the clothes are dripping wet) it makes a nasty grinding noise. It did drain, and I haven't smelled the laundry yet, but am fairly sure it did wash and rinse, as the clothes aren't soapy. Looking at FAQs....I see most symptoms fit needing a new drive coupler--would this be the general consensus? The washing machine is almost 12 years old now and has only ever needed a new lid switch, so if I can fix it for fairly cheap, I'd like to.

If you think the problem is worse than that......we'll have a service and go look for a replacement, but I'm afraid the equally aged dryer will be lonely.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

sounds like a broken coupler to me but will have to look to be sure, part number 285753A

post YouTube video ?

The washer will make the same noise in wash and spin if is the coupler is broken. Look at the top of the transmission and see if there is a black powder (carbon) on it.. Could be the clutch or brake latch or the bottom of the brake assm. came apart.

Not sure where the camera is at the moment, as it's not my baby....will try to get the back off some time tomorrow when I have help. I am far less mechanically inclined than my better half. I see a coupler is fairly easy....how hard a repair is the clutch or the brake latch?

DO NOT TAKE THE BACK OFF!!!

If this is a top load machine.

Edited by jumptrout

Don't worry....I didn't. I found the stupid numbers under the lid hinge in a place no regular homeowner would ever look. Will check the link and look for diagrams FIRST, I promise.

I found the stupid numbers under the lid

And They Are ? .................................

MODEL NUMBER

arrow_038.gif

Whirlpool LSQ8243HQ0 Serial CJ1779313

Waiting on time and help to take the FRONT off as per directions on the site and take a look see.......hoping it's obvious what's wrong with it. Thank you for the links and all the great pictures and instructions. This site is fantastic (as are all of you). I'll come back if it's not the coupler.

added model # to topic title

Thank you for doing that.

The diagnosis: a coupler snapped clean in half. Hubby is out working on it now.

Link to coupling w/instructional video:

Motor-Coupling-285753A-01029882.jpg

All done and washer working, thank you very much!