Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

New Fridge - Looking for ones like Samsung with split fridge/freezer

dual zone fridge

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 EricEE

EricEE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anything dark :)

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

Other than combing through often incomplete documentation, is there any list or shopping tool that anyone knows of that can show if there are other fridge/freezers out there like Samsung that have completely isolated freezer/fridge compartments?

I had a Samsung at my previous house and I really liked it and the isolated, compartment-specific cooling. Funky flavors didn't migrate from the fridge into the freezer, and food really did last longer in the fridge - especially veggies. Supposedly some models in other brands like some GE Artica models have isolated compartments, but it's often impossible to verify other than either tearing it apart or getting lucky and finding the service manual and analyzing the breakout diagrams to ensure their is no linkage between the fridge/freezer.

I'm hoping there's an easier way :whistling: And if Samsung is it, I'm not opposed to them - my last Samsung was great and I was very happy with it, but since I'm possibly going to need a new fridge soon I figure I might as well do a little research first.

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

I would not have a Samsung appliance in my house even if I got it for free. Their refrigerators are trouble prone and they make them more complicated then they have to be.
Scott Wolf

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

What happened to your old Shimsham??.........How old was it??? A Plain Jane Whirlpool would probably out last most other brands................

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Maybe something like this: http://www.lg.com/us...frigerators.jsp
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

OR some Frigidaires ?
dual evaporator
inverter compressor
Frigidaire Professional Series FPHN2899LF w/free shipping
$1460 after rebates
http://www.ajmadison...FPHN2899LF.html

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 EricEE

EricEE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

What happened to your old Shimsham??.........How old was it???

Six year old GE Artica PSS26NGPC - looks like it has fallen prey to the well-known motherboard issues - whether it's just the motherboard or the motherboard because of a fan short, I haven't verified yet. I think I'm going to break out the multimeter and run through the diagnostics to confirm. I'm still on the fence about fixing it since the problem will probably just resurface - it's pretty obvious there is a serious design fault in the motherboard :yucky:

Thanks for the feedback on Samsung. Like I said I had one for a couple of years before and didn't have issues, but it's in the five-year plus range where problems tend to develop. It's so hard reading online to detect real issues vs. people just complaining - i.e. the only time you typically get feedback is when something goes wrong! I know that first hand having been in the IT industry for over 20 years and doing end user support for the majority of those years.

My problem is I know most new stuff is manufactured to similar "quality" standards due to competition, so it's probably unrealistic to expect 10 year+ trouble-free service like the "old days". With energy star, electronics and other complicating factors I fear it's just to be expected these days. Ugh...

OR some Frigidaires ?
dual evaporator
inverter compressor
Frigidaire Professional Series FPHN2899LF w/free shipping
$1460 after rebates
http://www.ajmadison...FPHN2899LF.html

Thanks for the LG link! I prefer the interior layout and ice cube shape on the LG - and I searched around trying to find out if they had a dual evaporator. That's awesome! I'll also look up that Frigidaire.

Thanks again guys!

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

PSS26NGPC

depending on the first (2) characters of the serial number,
there may be a service bulletin about the MotherBoard and Evaporator Fan replacement / recall
The replacement Motherboards have been re-designed

also, from the LG link above:
" ... while the Linear Compressor and Dual Evaporator keep humidity and temperature at the perfect setting."

#8 EricEE

EricEE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

depending on the first (2) characters of the serial number,
there may be a service bulletin about the MotherBoard and Evaporator Fan replacement / recall

I already called GE and my serial number is not in the range (starts with AH). Reading round on the web some people have got GE to replace it anyway so I figured what the heck. While the person on the phone was nice, no dice :(

It's good to know the motherboards are re-designed. I guess I'll test the fans to make sure there are no shorts, and if that's the only problem I see a new motherboard in my future. While I loathe this side by side, a couple hundred vs almost $3K is still an easy decision :woot:

also, from the LG link above: " ... while the Linear Compressor and Dual Evaporator keep humidity and temperature at the perfect setting."

Yup! That's the ONLY page on the LG site that I have seen the Dual Evaporator touted. Even the tech specs and tech sheet don't mention it! Talk about failing at marketing - I realize most people don't even know what an evaporator is, but sheesh - a competitor is translating it into marketing speak - you think they could too!

Thanks again for the heads up guys!

#9 EricEE

EricEE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Too funny - I did a quick search to find some tips for checking for DC motor shorts and if I included Fridge in my search terms GE came up every time :yucky:

http://fixitnow.com/...r-fan-problems/

http://fixitnow.com/...e-refrigerator/

I love this site and refer people to it often!

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 02 March 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#10 EricEE

EricEE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

http://fixitnow.com/...r-fan-problems/

http://fixitnow.com/...e-refrigerator/

Thanks RegUS_PatOff!

#11 EricEE

EricEE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

So looking at this list http://appliantology...ffected-models/ and with my serial number starting with AH, I probably have the earlier motherboard and a new one will definitely be the redesigned one so chances of this problem re-occuring will be as minimal as can be expected?

I'd hate to have a newer one and already have the re-designed board!

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

... I probably have the earlier motherboard and a new one will definitely be the redesigned one

earlier MotherBoards didn't normally have those problems ...
it was the "intermediate" MBs that were a problem... the "redesigned" MBs may just be that they went back to the "earliest" design
Is your Evaporator Fan good ?

#13 EricEE

EricEE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Signs point to no. The resistance is off and it's got a mountain of rust. Good news - without the fan harness (J2) plugged in I do get 12 volts on pins 3 and 8, and 000 is flashing on the temperature display which would hint at self diagnostics? It doesn't respond to any keypad presses - I'm hoping that it's just freaking out because J2 is unplugged. I'm going to order the motherboard too since they tend to go hand in hand but maybe I'll get lucky?

If I replace the fan and plug it into the original motherboard, if the motherboard is bad it won't fry the new fan right? So far it seems only the fan is capable of frying the motherboard but I just want to make sure it can't work the other way too.

Thanks for your help! Time to order parts :yucky:

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

.... if the motherboard is bad it won't fry the new fan right?

correct

#15 EricEE

EricEE

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Replaced fan - no dice, display still acting funky. Oh well! Replaced motherboard, put freezer back together, plugged in - compressor starts!

Blowing cold air!

Woo hoo! Now that it works, I guess I'll clean it out really good before putting it back in it's home and setting it to chill down.

Thanks everyone! $200 was definitely cheaper than $2800 - no matter how much I would have loved to justify getting a freezer on the bottom :rocker:

EDIT: Also got my subscription - well worth it! Wondered why I couldn't reply in all the forums :sillytongue:

Edited by EricEE, 08 March 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#16 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm glad you repaired it rather than breaking down and giving Korea $2800 for a new over engineered refrigerator.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics