Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

ohirider

Kitchenaid KAWS850JQ4 Washer Motor Problem

6 posts in this topic

The Samuri says this is too much for chat, so here's my problem.

I've replaced the motor, capacitor, timer, fabric select switch, transmission, drive tube/brake, clutch, motor/transmission coupler

The motor on my washer won't start at the beginning of each cycle. The motor goes under load until it shuts down with the internal overload protection.

I thought it might be a mechanical bind so, I removed the coupler and reconnected the motor electrical connections. I wrapped a rope around the pump shaft and when the motor went under load I pulled it like a lawn mower; it spins just fine with no issues.

The problem progressed slowly - first it would pause for a long time between cycles, then it would start each time if I shook the machine hard. I finally had a repair man look at it and he diagnosed the motor or switches. That's when I changed those parts but - not fixed.

What else could it be that doesn't let or make the motor start?

Thanks for the assistance,

John

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Quote;" it would start each time if I shook the machine hard."

You have a bad wire in your harness.

Thanks for the responses.

RegUS - The fabric select switch is new.

jumptrout - how do I trace a bad wire?

Thanks again, John

The motor does get power and go under load. Would that indicate one of the wires to the capacitor might be bad and giving the extra boost to the motor at start up of each cycle?

Meant to say "not giving the extra boost to the motor...."

You will have to check the wiring harness and connecting plugs and terminals to the motor for a bad wire/connection. The capacitor is probably not your problem. Check the lid switch connection as well.