Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Suburban #HF50B Circuit Board

Southern

My sister has a Suburban furnace and the fan motor kept running with no heat. She was told that there were no replacement parts available for the furnace and the only option was to replace the entire unit with a more conventional style furnace. This would require re-work of the duct work and She was quoted $7000.

I got the circuit board and there are some burnt traces on the edge connectors. I can try to repair the edge connectors but I feel that what ever caused them to burn in the first place is still the problem.

The circuit board has HEC Carborundum 114-500-3022 silk screened on the board.

Any info would be appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Southern

• jb8103

• jumptrout

• Daveb1972

Could just be age that caused it to break down.

If the heat exchanger in the furnace is good,try a repair on the board.

It doesn't appear to be age related, the rest of the circuit board is in great shape (no yellowing or burn marks). Two of the edge connectors that fried was a jumper, the trace didn't go thru the circuitry, the third edge connector that is damaged was adjecent to the jumper traces. I suspect that what ever is connected to the other side of the jumper malfunctioned causing the edge connector to "melt".

I will try a repair on the board since I have nothing to lose.

If someone has a schematic for the Suburban furnace that would help me.

The builder of the Condo my sister lives in used an RV type of HVAC unit since it was installed in a small space near the ceiling. The $7000 included a new regular sized HVAC unit and reworking the duct work. Apparently there aren't many contactors willing to due this work since it is dirty messy job to tackle.

I did some checking of the circuit board and there is a small transformer that has the primary windings shorted. Without a schematic it would be a crapshoot to attempt a repair.

I have contacted ICM controls to see if they offer a replacement circuit board, I sent them photos of the board showing the manufacture and model number.

Or maybe go through a local RV dealer. Things are quiet for them right now, they might actually help you out.

Honeywell makes a pretty good universal integrated furnace control, part number is S9200u, and is made to control HSI induced draft furnaces, and include blower control. If you send me a picture of the control, and all of the numbers visible on it, I can see if there is a direct crossover to this or another control. I have used this control in several applications. The existing control may have been the victim of water contamination causing the short, or often they will blow out a relay terminal. post detailed pictures, and I can help further. Include pics of the furnace and I'll see what I can do about better schematics. I would avoid "fixing" boards because of the nature of the electronics, and the need for the timing logic to operate correctly for safety. An example is if the unit fails again, but fails to open the gas valve circuit, the unit will run burner, without blower, and cause a fire, same if the control keeps gas on, if it fails to light, boom....I have seen modules do this, so NO MODIFICATIONS TO THE BOARD should be attempted. Not worth the risk. The universal boards often will satisfactorly replace a hard to find board, and if installed properly, they are safe, and the liability is then on the board manufacturer.

Below are photos of the circuit board:

img0004py.jpg

img0005ik.jpg

img0006xm.jpg

I will ask my sister if she can take some photos of the furnace.

Any assistance is appreciated.