Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

maytag propane range ignitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_seank_*

Lurker_seank_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

I purchased this range model CRG 9800BAB in '95.

Since i've owned it the ignitor model 12400035 has never lasted more than 11 months. First time under warrenty; second and third time I paid...$125 a pop. After that I raised the issue with Matag who agreed to replace the part. This year, like clockwork the part failed again. I called up Eldis and i was told the part now had only 90 day warrantyand that I would now have to pay %50 of the cost for this years failure. Any suggestions as to what I should do here other than throwing it out?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:47 AM

Ignitor life depends on usage, not time.  If you use your oven a lot the ignitor will not last long, my 7 year old Whirlpool range with self-clean has the original bake and broil ignitors...however I do not use the oven in the summer (think heat in Texas) and do not use it much in the winter either.  Do you use your oven for hours a day or week?  Most all domestic manufacturers have gone to one year warranty total on new apliances and 90 days on replacement parts, so I do not see where you will gain any advantage to replacing the range. Where are you paying $125.00 for this ignitor, is about $58.00 from this site...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

Another thing to consider is Glow Bars are built in service calls. The older or as Peggy states the more you use them, the weaker they get till they will only glow but not draw enough to open your valve. The variable here is incoming voltage. The igniter is rated to work on 120VAC +or- 10% or basically from 132VAC-108VAC. You can take a weak non functioning igniter out of a home or outlet that is running only 108VAC and have it work fine in a home that has 120VAC. I have had consumers bring them to my shop to show them this (ONLY WAY to prove a point sometimes is to show them). If your voltage is lower then desired, your igniter life will be shorter. Might want to check what your outlet voltage is under load and what voltage is actually making it to the igniter. The 12400035 igniter they are selling you is a good all purpose (hate this word) universal igniter, that I use on many applications. 
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics