Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

New Electric cord dryer kit necessary?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tobisan

Tobisan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:30 AM

Our 15 year-old dryer (Kenmore, 110.86984810) is being replaced with the Whirlpool LEQ8000JQ.  The store says we must buy a dryer kit with a new electric cord.  Is this really necessary, or is it another way for the store to simply sell more stuff?

The current dryer is not shoved against the wall in the back, so I don't think that there has been the kind of wear-and-tear on the cord that the salesman seemed to be describing.

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,363 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:43 AM

He's referring to the three-cord vs. four-cord configurations.  If you're outlet is the old three-cord type, then changing your dryer cord to four--cord, would mean you couldn't plug in your dryer until you changed the outlet... and the wiring that goes to it!  Big project!

If I were you, I'd tell him he can keep his dryer and fix the one you have.  Dryers are one of those appliances that it rarely makes sense to buy new-- it's not like you're getting new technology.  How much is a new oneHow long should dryers last?

#3 Tobisan

Tobisan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:49 AM

We don't need to change to 4-cord... it's already there.  The guy just said that you should never reuse the old electric cord once you buy a new appliance, because of the wear and tear on the wires inside from being shoved against the wall.

We considered repairing.  The machine is leaving rust lines on my clothes.  It looks as though the rollers have worn (from heavy use, I would imagine... family of 5, only dryer for 14 years since the youngest were babies!) because there is a gap on one side between the drum and the bulkhead.  The edges of the bulk head have rusted.  As the clothes tumble, they must rub up against this edge and leave rust lines.  The cost of a new bulkhead, rollers, drum seals, seal adhesive, repair manual (if needed) would be $150-$200.  This seems expensive to us.  Is your advice still repair this baby?  :?

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:54 AM

Your are getting a salesmans line BS to sale you a new cord.

If you inspect your old cord and none of the prongs that plug into the recepticle look discolored from overheating because of bad connections and none of the terminals that screw onto the dryer look burnt then no problem using your old cord.

They DO NOT wear out from just normal use, the things that would cause the cord to need to be replaced is loose recepticle springs making bad connections or loose terminal block screws causing causing the wiring to overheat.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Tobisan

Tobisan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the new cord.  It's what we thought, too!  Just a sales line!

Any opinions out there regarding our putting $150-$200 in parts alone to fix our dryer?

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:55 AM

Your 15 year old Kenmore dryer most likely only needs about, at tops $50 in parts if you do the job yourself.

Usually the drum roller over the motor, (the right side looking from front), is the first to go out. It has most likely been making noise for a long time and you just kept running it with that false belief that it will eventually fix itself, (HINT: They never do, when the washer or dryer starts to make unusual noises find out what is the source of said noise and fix it before you do more damage.)

If you were to disassemble your dryer you would probably find that what you think is rust is really fine powdery metal dust from the roller that has went out.

You could most likely clean up the back bulkhead satisfactorly and just replace a set of rollers and maybe you might need the rear drum seal and probably a belt and maybe an idler pulley while your in there.

Drum roller kit == $15 - $20
Idler pulley ==== $10 - $15
Belt ============= $10 - $15
Rear drum seal === $20 - $30

These are just rough estimates off the top of my head.....
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics